Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

For those whose kids have smart phones/electronics

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 23 Replies

If your kid has a tablet or other device with apps, do you make them pay for their own music, apps, games etc or do you have a set amount that you purchase for them?

Do they have to earn the funds for them like with chores and allowance?

My sister bought her teens iPad minis for Christmas but they are responsible for their own purchases. I was wondering how everyone else does this.

by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
My boys are responsible for their own purchases. They use iTunes gift cards and Amazon gift cards for their purchases.
They use birthday and Christmas money to buy gift cards, and they also get gift cards as birthday and Christmas gifts.

My oldest (of four) son is 15, my youngest son is 5 we have two smartphones, two Kindle Fires and one iPad mini between them.
TatyBear
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
They get what I buy for mine. Or they use their own money or get free apps.

They are 11 and 5. Ours are all.synced together, so whatever I put on mine it goes on theirs.

hriabywx4
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM
We barter for extra money. The boys have regular chores after those are done they can offer to do something else and name a price. Dh and I then counter offer until we settle on the price of the extra chore.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

We don't do allowance, we have a points system for chores. They can choose to trade in some points to buy an app or make in-app purchases. So yes, they have to earn it. There are so many free apps out there that paid apps are really not a necessity. For music we have an account on a subscription site, we get $15 worth of music downloads each month and we all share it. It's mostly my 15 & 12 year olds who use it but they know that DH & I get first dibs each month if there's something we want to download.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

He has to pay for their own stuff. He usually asks for iTunes cards as gift options.

LivinDeadGurl
Not feeling well today. Just want to curl up and sleep.
Yesterday at 5:29 PM
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Mine are responsible for their own purchases, but may earn money for them through extra chores or babysitting or something.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Mine didn't have smart phones in hs. Not many did. Heck oldest had a pay as you go phone with no camera. They had ipods and I gave them occasional itunes cards and for bday and Christmas. Extra chores for extras other than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Mine pay for their own apps or use free ones.   

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Mine get allowances so they use that.They also get gift cards for bdays and Christmas .At the end of a season ,production or something like that I will give them a small bag of a fave candy like Bliss and a small gc .

We don't pay.I will pay for a book to be downloaded.

Mommy2Boys0900
by Donnie's Mom on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Both of my boys have ipads and the younger one has a kindle also. They usually stick with the free apps. I got my oldest a gift card for the app store for Christmas, but I told him he would have to use his allowance if he wants to make any additional purchases.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)