Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

College and beyond

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

We have 2daughters. One is attending 1st year of college. This is not a question I have seen here and interested in others thoughts. The College student is a double major. Is doing very well.  We have said we will pay for 1/2 of college.  I finished college at night, husband didn't finish.  She would like to get PhD in forensics.  Her grades tell me she is able to.   Do you help pay for graduate school?

Other daughter is in HS and doing well.

thanks.

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Our dd's wouldn't go that long in college. I have a 22 yo finishing massage therapy school. DD 19 is a sophomore. We are paying for undergrad. I would suppose we would help but not pay it all especially since we paid all for private college undergrad for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Most parents that I know that pay for college only pay for the undergrad degree. Usually, the student is able to work some in the field at that point and go to school in evenings or do college research that might help for the remaining college education some.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM

We don't.   We pay for the undergrad degree.... beyond that, they are on their own.    My oldest son has his BA and is considering getting his masters....  so he took a part time job with a good potential for a full time position... because the company offers an advanced degree stipend.   So, if he can get on full time, they will pay for half of his schooling costs.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Nope. We're helping our dd pay for her undergrad but anything beyond that is up to her. It will be the same for our boys when they are older.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Our kids have to pay for the whole shabang, but university is heavily government funded here, my daughter's undergrad course is only costing her a couple grand out of pocket. If she chooses to do anything postgrad the same will apply. And of course same goes for all subsequent children.

Ceremony
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Thank you all. We have told her graduate and any subsequent education is up to her.  Hope the jobs are out there.  She does plan to get masters at night.  Sounds like a plan...hope it works out.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Our deal is we will pay for undergrad fully (tuition, living expenses, books, everything).  Anything after that, they need to work and help out but we will still contribute.  My older daughter finished a 4 year degree in 3 years (thanks to taking 12 AP classes in high school), my middle one is in her 3rd year of undergrad, and applying for graduate school, and my youngest is in her first year of college, but also in NROTC.

Ceremony
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Good luck to you.  That's great she graduated early! My daughter may be able to graduate early, but we need to convince her.  We will know better next year.  She had 26 credits going in, but taking double major,

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Good luck to her!

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a question that only you can answer.  Can you afford to pay for graduate school?  Is she appreciative of what you have done for her so far?  We have a son who will be finishing up college this next semester.  He has indicated he would like to coninue on, but we told him it was his responsibility to pay for any further education.  We still have 2 other children we will be helping out with tuition/books/food.  It was all their responsibility to earn money for their other living expenses (apartment...etc.)  Whether they went to college or not, they will have apartment expenses, but we paid tuition.  Older two worked hard to save, the youngest is in her senior year of h.s and has only saved $200.  Hmmmm.  At any rate, we have enough money to pay for continuing education for our son if he chooses, but there is a time, we feel, when the adult responsibility needs to kick in, and we feel we've done our part with the undergrad.  At some point, we would like to just take a vacation and spend money on OURSELVES!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)