Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My "Cool Mom" status has been revoked

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, brand new to Cafe Mom. 2 teen daughters, both beautiful and smart (just like their mother). :)

Losing the "Cool Mom" status hasn't been easy. Finding my girls distancing themselves more and more. Have consulted the Parenting Manual but not finding answers to some of these issues in the Index. :(

I feel there are areas where I've definitely failed, or dropped the ball. As a divorced parent, who shares custody, but shoulders all the discipline and nurturing, I'm constantly battling emotional endurance.

Sure would love a mother's ear.

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mgm_5
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My 14 yr old son never thought i was cool, he actually thinks I'm rather embarrassing, but idc, I'm not trying to be his friend, trying to be his parent....i had him at 17 so being a younger parent to a teen you'd think i would go for that title, but nope ;)
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I didn't want to be cool. Saw cool mom's screw up too many kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!   I was going to be such a 'cool' Mom..... until I had kids, lol.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I don't think I was a cool person prior to being a mum, so no reason why I would gain that now. I quite like the idea of being embarassing bad joke mum. I feel I can live up to that one.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I NEVER wanted to be the cool mom. Its not my job. My job is to raise my sons not be friends. I have enough friends. My job is to teach them to be responsible morally sound men. Men that live their life with Integrity. 

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Welcome to the group.

I don't have that type of advice because I don't want to be the cool parent with my children. I actually let them know that I am not their friend but their parent, that can come later when they are adults.

I think it's great if you have that type of relationship with your daughters and it does not interfere with parenting.

Do you have friends your age? Maybe making more time for you will help with your daughters being teens (as I would call it). Sometimes as parents/women we give so much to others that we burn ourselves out to that emotional point.

Thorlin
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I will be happy to listen lend advise if I have any but I never tried to be cool. I think I pretty much inbred into my kids that yes I love them but no we are not friends or even cool because yes I will make the unpopular decision if I have to.

Teens is hard though so any time you want to vent, yep I can listen for sure.

coloradocakegal
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Waving at you!!  I totally feel your pain.  I go back and forth between being tolerated to being ignored.  How old are your girls?

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I was always the cool mom to other peoples kids, my kids, well they didn't hate me so I wasn't doing to bad lol

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Welcome to Moms With Teens group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN