Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Birth Control

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 31 Replies

My DD, she will be 17 in February, is dating a 19 yo boy. And before you say that is a huge age difference, he is a VERY nice boy and I know him really well. Recently at a doctor's appointment, I found out that my daughter is sexually active. I knew this day would come but it is still painful because I still think of her as my little girl. This is an uncomfortable topic for me and her, but I am taking her to a gyno. I don't want to put her on birth control because it will be hard for me to remind her to take "the pill" everyday. Please give me some advice on how to cope with this.

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this
Get her on the pill. She wants to be an adult SHE needs to remember to take it. It isn't that difficult. My dd 22 sets her alarm on her phone for 10pm. DD 19 remembers too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

The gyno will explain the options and help her choose which BC will work best for her.   

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Let her chose what will work best for her from the options available. The gynecologist should go over what is available.

8chickens
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM

How did you find out at her appt? If anyone at the office disclosed anything they violeted the law and your daughter may bring civil action. To obtain birth control and the type would be up to your daughter after talking in private to her doctor. You can not "put" her on anything. Time to start looking at your daughter as a young woman and not a little girl. Time keeps moving forward and if you handle this correctly she may confide in you about her options etc.

ginaleahy
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is on depo shot .last 3 months they will call when its due again.
gonecrazi
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It's either birth control or a baby....

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, if she is old enough for boyfriends and now sex, she is old enough to to take her own pills without mommy reminding her.  If this is an issue for her, then perhaps she is not mature enough for the whole dating thing yet.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM
My friends dd had 2 babies. Just missed the shot and oops. I guess anyone can forget whatever. I agree with the one who said it is BC or a baby.

Quoting ginaleahy: My daughter is on depo shot .last 3 months they will call when its due again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If she is old enough for sex she is old enough to deciede what birth control she will use.  Mommy doesn't need to remind her and if you do need to remind her she is no way mature enough to be in an adult relationship. My DD is 21 and is not on ANY hormonal birth control as is unable to take it due to other medical conditions. Her ex-boyfriend was well of these issues and didn't even want her trying to use it if it could cause some very very serious issues. They deciede amoungst themselves as they were the two in the relationship

Pnukey
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:45 PM

You don't need to remind her to take it. She needs to remember to take it. If she's old enough to have sex, she needs to be old enough for the responsibilities that come with it.

I liked the patch last time I was on birth control. Once a week was easy to remember.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)