Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What motivates your teen?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is it money, praise, a sense of accomplishment or something else?

My boys have always been go-getters. A sense of accomplishment is what drove them. I am really close with my nephews and two of them are the same way my boys are but the other one is so unmotivated about everything.
We are really close and I am trying to figure out a way to motivate him. My sister and BIL are great but they are pretty much at a loss too.

I was just wondering what motivates other kids out there.

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Mine were somewhat motivated. DD 22 knew if she wanted a license and a car she had to raise her grades.
DD 19 was always motivated but didn't have to work hard for A's and B's. She really has to work hard in college though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GMMC
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing...nothing motivates my teen son or so he says...but he also thinks the sky is brown only because I think it is blue!
rebeccab1966
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM

My son has always been pretty self-motivated, and he also knows he gains alot more through hard work than through laziness.  I also feel like, at least with my kids, talking to them and finding out about their day and what's going on is a big help.  You can uncover alot just by sitting at the dinner table together and talking about the day.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Hmm..... My oldest is motivated by goals.  The end result, I suppose.   He is a step by step kinda guy.  He did well in HS so he would get accepted to the College he wanted, he went to college to get a degree...that was his only priority.   He works to gain financial security, etc.     He isn't overly ambitious, but he will do what it takes to live comfortably.

My youngest is motivated by interest and need.  He excels in whatever he chooses to do, but he chooses according to his own interests.   He is doing great in college, but will not get a job!   He does odd jobs to earn what he needs, but isn't motivated to build up his savings again or gain work experience.

Debmomto2girls
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Both my girls are very driven.  They get motivated by a sense of accomplishment and feeling proud when they show us their grades or awards. It makes them feel good. As a result, I cannot even remember the last time I checked homework, etc.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM

For my dd getting  into one of her top choice colleges is what drives her.  When she was in elementary she had a goal of getting into a good middle school,  then in middle school it was to get into a good highschool and now her goal is college. She wants a job that will provide her with financial security. S he does not want to struggle financially like her father and i do. my son has had some rough years.  he just didnt care and i had to get pretty tough and show him just how hard life would be.  Since high school he is doing much better and now he has a goal for  his life.  he figured out what he wants to do and he knows he has to work for that goal. the more he tries the better his grades and that sense of accomplishment knowing he's working twords something has been keeping him on track for the most part.

huntersmom1007
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Nothing motivates my SD16.  I have tried everything.  She feels everything should just be given to her. 

LivinDeadGurl
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM

My daughter is very goal driven. She knows that if she wants to achieve certain goals, she has to take initiative. She also knows if she fails, she has no one to blame but herself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN