Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Plus Size Clothing

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM
  • 45 Replies

Hello! I'm looking for help with an issue and stumbled upon this forum. I have a 16 year old daughter and our problem is finding jeans/pants in the style she wants that fit her properly. She is overweight and carries a large amount of it in her belly. The issue begins when she says that she wants to wear her pants over her stomach to "make me seem skinny". It's hard to find jeans that are large enough to do so while being the right length and the style she wants. I said that we could find more if she were to wear the pants under her belly and just let it hang over,but she claims that that is uncomfortable and makes her look bad as her stomach jiggles.She wants the pants over to support the weight of her belly,but the pants dig in which creates rolls and leaves red marks. To me that doesn't seem comfortable,so I am asking for sugestions of where to find jeans that meet her needs. (She is about 5'5" and 292 pounds)

Thank You!

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmother5946
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM
3 moms liked this
You could try a store called Torrid. They are online also. They're a bit pricey though. Also Lane Bryant.
My daughter likes Old Navy and Torrid. Her main issue now is length. She's about 240 and 6 ft tall.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM
3 moms liked this
Torrid?? Forever 21?? Kohls??

I would join her in exercising and eating healthy to help her lose weight also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alison16
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Thank you to both of you for the sugestions! I believe that Kohls,Torrid,Lane Bryant and Forver21 only go up to a size 28 which is snug on her belly(especially when sitting),but I did not know Old Navy had plus sizes! I will look into those. If there any other options that would be great.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Another thought is to get waist band extenders, so the jeans aren't too tight on her belly.

alison16
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Another thought is to get waist band extenders, so the jeans aren't too tight on her belly.

Good idea! I never thought of those and they have some different choices on amazon. I found a maternity extender that seems quite strechy,so hopefully that will help eliminate some tightness(even thought she will be embarassed to use it). Thank you!

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:33 PM

We have used Levis special order site for the opposite reason but you can order style ...to some extent ...,length and waist to meet your needs.It cost more than at the store but they fit properly ...a huge plus.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM
4 moms liked this

Please, for the sake of her health, do something to help her lose weight!  She is putting a huge amount of stress on her body, and setting herself up for multiple health problems as she becomes an adult.  Her jeans are the least of her worries.

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  The jeans are the least of her worries.  I have a 23 year old daughter that, after continually gaining weight during h.s., finally went to the doctor to see what might be the problem, if there was a reason WHY she was gaining so much...and there was.  She was blood tested and diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.  Her thyroid is underactive and it is more common than many people realize.  Her metabolism was slow.  Over time, left untreated, it causes problems with internal organs, not to mention, weight gain...even when eating healthy and exercising.  Not only can this added weight cause back and leg problems, but she can get diabetes from this extra weight gain, we well. My daughter has been on thyroid medication for 3 years now, and will be for the rest of her life, but had we caught it earlier, it MAY have helped put an end to the increasing weight.  At least, talk to your/her doctor to see if this could be a reason.  Just getting jeans to fit will not help her weight problem....and I realize you did not ask for comments on the weight issue...but please look at it from a health standpoint.....

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Please, for the sake of her health, do something to help her lose weight!  She is putting a huge amount of stress on her body, and setting herself up for multiple health problems as she becomes an adult.  Her jeans are the least of her worries.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM
7 moms liked this
People, seriously? You don't think she KNOWS her daughter needs to lose weight for her health? She's not stupid. But no matter how hard she works at it, she's not going to slim down overnight, so she *does* need clothes that fit her plus-size body.

OP, I was very overweight at one time, and I understand what your DD means about the pants. Wearing them under the belly is incredibly uncomfortable. You could try JustMySize.com, they go past a size 28.
cassie241986
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I would try debs they have a large plus size section and its geared toward teens. Also old navy, lane Bryant, fashion bug, and Kohl's.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)