Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Diet pills for kids and 'healthy' soda

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM
  • 16 Replies
OK So I am about to throw fuel on the fire here but I think that's a good thing. 

Two days ago I posted about my DH thinking it was okay for DS to drink "healthy" soda right bedtime or 15 min before bed even on school nights. That post had 225 replies as of now, and all have been EXTREMELY helpful.

So here are my two questions and I would love to have your opinions:

DH thinks 'Zevia' soda (sugar free, with erythritol ) is completely harmless, he says it's as good as water to drink, and drinking unlimited amounts of that is fine instead of drinking water. It costs at least one dollar per can so it is prohibitively expensive. So just his soda habit alone is costing us approximately $200 per month! !!!!!!!!  He is giving our kids a very bad example, showing them that he drinks masses of soda and the recycle bin is constantly overflowing with cans. And he doesn't understand why I want to limit the kids with that stuff. And he also thinks I am being controlling with expecting that they drink water!

My specific question is "do you think drinking huge amounts of a new, unknown drink, (even though it has mostly good "reviews") is no problem at all?"

Here is my second question.
Although I cook very healthy mostly organic meals at home, and we never eat out at restaurants, my DS has a weight problem (not very serious but at 12 years old he's about 15 pounds overweight) and my DD is a very normal weight. They are both black belts in karate and do intensive karate lessons three times a week. DS participates in baseball Little League every spring and most fall seasons so he does get plenty of exercise.

DH weighs DS EVERY DAY and records his weight on a spreadsheet! He makes such a big deal of it.

DH WANTS TO PUT DS ON DIET PILLS! (Skinny fiber pills)   I have absolutely put my foot down with that and said NO!
Would you ever put a 12-year-old with a moderate weight problem on diet pills?  (DH is very frustrated with me because I have said no)

I am at my wits end. This has definitely become more of a problem as our kids have become teenagers! (and I am making an appointment with a counselor next week!!!!! :))

THANK YOU for your opinions. I know that the opinions of strangers are not going to change him but they sure will go a long way to making me know that I am not crazy or "controlling" as he puts it.

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
No diet pills. Diet soda is just as bad as regular. All start drinking water. You are wasting so much money on crap. Just think what they money could be spent on, or saved or invested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhelmke
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never put a child on diet pills.  I would talk to child's doctor and a nutritionist about the weight gain. I can already tell you that pop will be discussed.  Good luck.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never ever put a child on diet pills - no adults either.  Diets don't work, it needs to be a lifestyle change (which I think you realize).

And massive quantities of soda of any type?  No, the carbonation alone damages teeth!  Not to mention all the other sstuff in it.  BUT -just because your husband drinks it, doesn't mean your son has to.  There are things adults do that kids can't (although I don't agree with this one personally).  It is NOT the same as water.

And the weighing every day?  Way to create an eating disorder!  That is obsessive, no matter who is being weighed.   THAT needs to be stopped.

I would suggest counseling, which you have also obviously thought was a good idea.  Sounds like you're both digging in your heels (bedtimes, food, and so on).  There is a middle ground, and it's a lot easier for everyone to live with.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Your son is gonna shoot up in a year or so and probably grow into his weight. Start eating healthier and making small changes. Do not ever weigh your son. Your dh is terrible. I weigh myself every other day but I am an adult and losing weight the right way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momjicab
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I AGREE but DH insists. I feel so bad for DS because DH has made this an obsession!  I am doing my best with healthy food, exercise etc. but DS is paranoid about scale now!!!!!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

And the weighing every day?  Way to create an eating disorder!  That is obsessive, no matter who is being weighed.   THAT needs to be stopped.

momjicab
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

That is exactly what I have said over and over... DS is 12 and short for his age, and I am sure it will even out as he grows if we keep eating healthy and keep moving....   I do fun workouts with him like racquetball, watching TV while we do peak fitness on the treadmill and use the bowflex.  I am so stuck with a DH that just doesn't have common sense !!!!  I love him and he has good qualities but some of this stuff is really a problem. 

Quoting atlmom2: Your son is gonna shoot up in a year or so and probably grow into his weight. Start eating healthier and making small changes. Do not ever weigh your son. 

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
There is no such thing as 'healthy soda' zevia may be made out of stevia, hence the sugar free status, but it is still packed full of artificial colours and flavours.

There areno diet pills that are safe for a preteen to take. End of story.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Your husband needs to get a clue. If he wants your son to lose weight the first step to that for anyone would be to cut out soda totally. Even the "healthy" ones, which really there is no such thing. At your sons age he doesn't need to be on diet pills or even a diet he just needs healthier choices.

I think it's sad that your husband is giving your son a hard time about his weight when your husband is a contributor of it. I really don't have any advise. If my hubby and I were so far at odds when it came to parenting I think I would insist on marriage counseling.
lakerfan420
by Jamie on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree to absolutely NO on diet pills. Not a healthy way to lose weight, and I don't even feel adults should take them. As for soda, there is imo no such thing as a 'healthy' soda, and personally I feel diet soda is worse than regular soda. As a general rule, we don't allow the kids to drink soda daily. We do lots of water, juice once a day, which is pricey enough since I'd rather do Simply juices instead of kool aid and other sugary juices that aren't much better than soda. They also enjoy making smoothies, so they drink a lot of those, which I'm ok with since they're using fruit and ice and not premade mixes. And they're all very into athletics so they drink a lot of water along with gatorade. General rule is water for practices and gatorades are for actual games or competitions. Now when they go out with friends, they're allowed soda. Movies and dinners out, they're allowed soda. Pizza night, which is once or twice a month, we'll get them a two liter of soda. Parties and special occasions, they can have soda. That said, I drink a lot of soda myself. I really wish I didn't, but I wasn't limited as a kid and old habits are hard to break. And being 33 with a speedy metabolism still, I'm not at that point where I have to worry about it because I don't gain much weight. I seriously drink 4-6 cans a day along with my 2-4 candy bars daily and I stay between 145-150 lbs. As much as I hate the 'do as I stay not as I do', I can't in good conscience allow them do drink as much as I do on a regular basis. I've tried to cut back before, and while I have gotten better, I'm still nowhere near where I'd like to be. Yes sadly my intake used to be even worse, and I try to explain that to them and hope that they'll learn from me and just not get into the soda habit like I did. As far as getting dh on board, maybe talking to ds' doctor would help? I doubt a physician would be on board with daily weight checks or putting a child on diet pills, especially a preteen who hasn't gone through puberty yet. Maybe if he talks to someone in the medical field, or even if you just googled some facts online, that might hold more weight than just the opinions of some other moms. Good luck, hopefully your dh comes around and realizes this is not good for ds, and before it's too late!
momjicab
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM

We did that - talking to our doctor. Dh talked to our family doctor (he is a wonderful and wise doctor) and the doc said JUST THAT - weighing him all the time will cause problems !!!!! Dh didn't take that advice. !!!!!!!!  If he doesn't listen to a counselor I don't know where we are headed ....... :(   I HAVE to look out for my kids and what they need!!!!  

Quoting lakerfan420: As far as getting dh on board, maybe talking to ds' doctor would help? I doubt a physician would be on board with daily weight checks or putting a child on diet pills, especially a preteen who hasn't gone through puberty yet. Maybe if he talks to someone in the medical field, or even if you just googled some facts online, that might hold more weight than just the opinions of some other moms. Good luck, hopefully your dh comes around and realizes this is not good for ds, and before it's too late!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)