Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

PLEASE READ AND HELP

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Ida
  • 20 Replies

I just got a call from 000 000 0000 and I have been getting this call for about a week but when I answered nobody was there and you couldn't call it back.

I just answered it and there was someone saying they are from Microsoft and they want me to turn my computer on so they can sync with it and fix it.

They said what was supposed to be wrong with it but sorry dude I speak English and have no idea what you said.

I hung up on him but as the phone rang something popped up on the computer asking if I would allow a program to make changes to my computer.

This is the 1st time I have been near my computer and the 1st time someone was on the line now it has me worried so I am running a scan.

Has anyone else got this call and does anyone know how to contact microsoft if so post a link there are to many options online and I don't know which one is really microsoft.

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OvrMyHead
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure what is going on but I wouldn't talk to those people and do NOT let them do anything to your computer.  Yes, run a scan and then disconnect from the internet for a while.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:58 PM

no, not that way with a phone call but we were having problems with linking our router to a different computer in our home and this guy from  Microsoft (supposedly) & from India could synch, see each key stroke we were doing from his chair somewhere.... if some far away place then told us we owed him $45 and wanted our credit card #.  Oh, and by the way he never got the problem fixed (that was planned. Pretty scary.  He never got any money, but it was still scary...

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM

scan showed several things and I had already done one this morning so I ran it again and the last one was clear.   I got off the net and won't answer if I see that # again

Quoting OvrMyHead:

I'm not sure what is going on but I wouldn't talk to those people and do NOT let them do anything to your computer.  Yes, run a scan and then disconnect from the internet for a while.

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I never give out my credit card info to a stranger so he would have been out of luck.  I think it is weird how they can work on a computer snd see what we are doing kinda scary really if you think about it.

Quoting cat4458:

no, not that way with a phone call but we were having problems with linking our router to a different computer in our home and this guy from  Microsoft (supposedly) & from India could synch, see each key stroke we were doing from his chair somewhere.... if some far away place then told us we owed him $45 and wanted our credit card #.  Oh, and by the way he never got the problem fixed (that was planned. Pretty scary.  He never got any money, but it was still scary...

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I don't answer those calls. Too many scams.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat4458
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Was it a 31600000000? My husband has gotten some of those 000000 #'s and just ignores them.  Others u can block but I don't know if u can block a 000000 #?! ?! No, we didn't give out our credit card # but if they have your computer # they can see your key strokes, they can move your cursor and everything.  With all that's going on in the world with losing our privacy, it's just one more on the 'slippery slope'. Yes, and once they have access like that is it for a period of time or ALWAYS?! Pretty scary, as I said, but what do u do when u need assistance & we didn't give out our credit card # but what is next?! 

Quoting 02nana07:

I never give out my credit card info to a stranger so he would have been out of luck.  I think it is weird how they can work on a computer snd see what we are doing kinda scary really if you think about it.

Quoting cat4458:

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM

It said 000 000 0000 so I couldn't look the # up to see who it was and they just kept calling

Quoting atlmom2: I don't answer those calls. Too many scams.

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM

It was all 0's and it wouldn't let me block it so it was getting on my nerves.

Quoting cat4458:

Was it a 31600000000? My husband has gotten some of those 000000 #'s and just ignores them.  Others u can block but I don't know if u can block a 000000 #?! ?! No, we didn't give out our credit card # but if they have your computer # they can see your key strokes, they can move your cursor and everything.  With all that's going on in the world with losing our privacy, it's just one more on the 'slippery slope'. Yes, and once they have access like that is it for a period of time or ALWAYS?! Pretty scary, as I said, but what do u do when u need assistance & we didn't give out our credit card # but what is next?! 

Quoting 02nana07:

Quoting cat4458:

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM

It is a scam.  Go to snopes and check it out.  Microsoft will NEVER call you.  It is someone trying to put a keystroke monitor on your system so they can back hack and get your banking info.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Sounds like a scam. Here's a link to microsoft about it~

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)