Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Acne....please help!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

My dd has started having problems with acne.  She is beginning to be very self concious about it and it is bothering her alot.  Her dad and his siblings had very severe acne when they were teens, so I think she has taken after them.  I never had problems with acne at all so I am at a loss as to how to help her.  She has tried proactiv, clearasil, basically all of the treatments that you can get at the store.  She has also tried some natural things that she read about online, like applying honey, lemon juice, tea tree oil, aloe vera.  Nothing seems to help.  She also has a very tiny scar on her nose that she has had since she was little, and the scar tends to have acne outbreaks right around it, causing it to be even more noticeable.  But her problem areas are chin, upper lip, nose, cheeks.  I feel so bad for her and want to find something to help.  Any advice?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carmel63
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to a dematologist.  It is a waste of time, money, and energy trying to figure it out using over the counter medications, especially since there is a history of acne in the family.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM
I agree with above post go to the dermatologist. Soon, my kids have a family history and we started them off on prescription meds that were cheaper and much more effective than what you have tried over the counter. Main reason if you do not get professional help and professional strength meds since others aren't working good chance your daughter will end up with permanent acne scars on her face, back, chest, neck ect. Get her seen ASAP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:31 AM
your must go to dr perfer dermo and get med its the only thing that works for us also a cream get help now before its out of control start with regular dr first
SnapIt
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:43 AM
I personally think if its inherited its inevitably
My kid got it from his dad and his side of the family
Its getting better
As long as he washes his face it stays clearer.
Some of them hurt that he couldnt touch his face and they use to bleed, so he didnt wash it as well as he shouldve been.
Hair has to be away from his face
Dr said milk intake has a big to do, he was a huge milk drinker.
He drinks more water now too.
Hes tried stuff to no avail
To me they have to grow out of it just like a teen who gets a pimple from time to time. Its just more for them
read799
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Maybe seeing a dermatologist is a good option.  She has a checkup coming up in a few weeks anyway so I will see if her doctor can help, or if he can refer her to a dermatologist.  I just don't want her to feel so embarrassed.  I was lucky when I was a teen and only ever had the occasional minor pimples, so I have just been at a loss on what to do and don't really have any experience with this.  And there are so many cleansers and creams out there it's overwhelming and frustrating when nothing works for her.  :(

iwashere
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My son started with the acne over summer. He refused to go to a dermatologist, even though it was getting worse. Finally I made an appointment and dragged his butt there just before Christmas. 

And now he looks fantastic. He's not completely acne free - but very close. Take her to the doc.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Send her to this forum: http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/

On the right side is a list of guides. She should read those. They back up their claims with research. No more following random suggestions from the internet; many of them can be damaging to the skin.

jlg12678
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Dermatologist. I wouldn't waste my time or energy trying over the counter stuff if it's bothering her a lot.

jlg12678
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I'm going to add my sister and I dealt with it as teens...my mom took us to a derm because she dealt with it and her parents never did anything about it. I'm thankful she did...I still see a derm and my skin is pretty much perfect...an added bonus of some prescription acne products is that they are also wrinkle fighters. :)

read799
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Thanks!  That makes me feel better to know that the dermatologist may be able to prescribe something that will work better than over the counter.  The over the counter stuff is just not working, and she swears that when she was using proactiv it made it even worse.  And none of the other stuff works.  She has a check up next week with her regular doctor, so I am going to ask for a referral to a dermatologist.  She has always been a very confident girl, and I don't want her to lose her self esteem and it bothers her alot. 

Quoting jlg12678:

I'm going to add my sister and I dealt with it as teens...my mom took us to a derm because she dealt with it and her parents never did anything about it. I'm thankful she did...I still see a derm and my skin is pretty much perfect...an added bonus of some prescription acne products is that they are also wrinkle fighters. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)