Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

PSAT/SAT test prep. Worth the money?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have 2 high school sophomores.  My dd took her first psat this year my son did not. They both will be taking it  next year.  First Question, is it even worth it to pay for test prep for the  PSAT. 2nd Question  We found 2 test prep courses.  One is much more expensive than the other.  I can not afford to put them both thru the expensive one.  i can do one Cheaper and one more expensive or both cheaper.  My dd wants me to send her to the more expensive one.  MY son could use more help with his than she does but she is much more likely to really take it serious. Getting a high grade on it is much more important to her than to him.  she took the first one this year with no prep at all and she did pretty well.

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccab1966
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Interested in this, too! 

amberNewman0213
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Personally being I took my SAT a few years ago I didn't do a test prep. But I was an a&b student and I scored a 26 which is pretty high and approved me for quite a few scholarships. I knew a few people who made straight As and couldn't get passed a 15 doing it multiple times. So I'd say it depends on the student. I can not study and make a 100 on a test. Some people have to study or they will fail.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM
We spent $1000. DD took the Act 3 times and SAT once. Went from a 19 to a 23 on the ACT after prep. Yes, she wouldn't be at the college she is at without the prep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Quoting atlmom2: We spent $1000. DD took the Act 3 times and SAT once. Went from a 19 to a 23 on the ACT after prep. Yes, she wouldn't be at the college she is at without the prep.

i'm just not sure if the PSAT is worth that kind of money.   when it comes time she will get sat prep.  She did pretty well this time and i'm sure either prep will increase her score She is shooting for a 220 or higher

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM
PSAT doesn't matter how bad you do. No one sees that score. She did prep spring junior year and summer between junior and senior year.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2: We spent $1000. DD took the Act 3 times and SAT once. Went from a 19 to a 23 on the ACT after prep. Yes, she wouldn't be at the college she is at without the prep.

i'm just not sure if the PSAT is worth that kind of money.   when it comes time she will get sat prep.  She did pretty well this time and i'm sure either prep will increase her score She is shooting for a 220 or higher

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM

She is shooting for a National merit Sholarship which starts with the PSAT

Quoting atlmom2: PSAT doesn't matter how bad you do. No one sees that score. She did prep spring junior year and summer between junior and senior year.

Quoting Msgme:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Then you may want to. My dh took the SAT once. He got National Merit Scholarship finalist. He had no desire to take it again for a better score. Ticked his Dad off but he never cared.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2: PSAT doesn't matter how bad you do. No one sees that score. She did prep spring junior year and summer between junior and senior year.

Quoting Msgme:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:51 PM

She is hoping it will increase her chances of getting into one of her top choice schools.

Quoting atlmom2: Then you may want to. My dh took the SAT once. He got National Merit Scholarship finalist. He had no desire to take it again for a better score. Ticked his Dad off but he never cared.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Msgme:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM
He went to a state school with a nice scholarship. He got into better schools but he paid for school himself. He has done better than many at better schools.

Quoting Msgme:

She is hoping it will increase her chances of getting into one of her top choice schools.

Quoting atlmom2: Then you may want to. My dh took the SAT once. He got National Merit Scholarship finalist. He had no desire to take it again for a better score. Ticked his Dad off but he never cared.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Msgme:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

I would enroll your daughter if you think she has a good chance at becoming even a semi-finalist with a course.Use her scores from this year and data from past scores to determine if she is in possible range.Do the same for your son if he also is in range.

If it seems doubtful your son will become a semi-finalist save your money for an SAT or ACT course next fall.It seems from what your saying his emphasis should be getting into a college of his ...yalls....choice.After he gets his Jr PSAT scores add a zero and look at the GPR /GPA ,rank and SAT matrix at the colleges he is interested in attending.That will help you decide if he needs a prep course or not.Don't forget the SAT website offers help ,tests and there are prep books with discs for the computer for lesser help.

My oldest did very ,very well on his GRE and LSATs by just using books and the programs that came with them.He was still working full time in the Army and simply didn't have the time for a scheduled course.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)