Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much do your teens do around the house?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM
  • 33 Replies

I guess we let ours focus on school and sports with just a few chores at home. I'm thinking that they need to do more...They don't really show an interest in cooking for example, but maybe I should insist that they learn more about it. How much do your kids do to help out?

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM
My 22 yo still cannot cook. My 19 yo loves to cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mgm_5
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Nothing...he's 14, i stay home and my MIL is currently staying with us and she doesn't work either, so between the 2 of us the house is taken care of daily
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Enough
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM
Our rule is that there are 8/9 (depending on day) people in our home, so 8/9 people need to pull their weight.

As far as specifics go, everyone is responsible for their own clothes, everyone cooks at least once a week (as a pair usually), if you see something messy you clean it up.
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Our teens don't do much.  They keep their rooms picked up and put away their clean clothes.  I won't let any one touch the laundry and my DH is very picky about the kitchen.

hriabywx4
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I have 2 teens. They have a list that is weekly and has to be completed by Saturday each week. They vacuum, wash mirrors, scrub toilets, wipe doors and handrails, sweep and mop the kitchen, clean their own rooms, do their own laundry, wipe sinks and counters in the bathrooms and take out the trash.

It breaks down to 6 chores per week plus their rooms and laundry. After their chores are complete they can offer to do extra for $.

They are also very involved in school activities.
seqra2
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM

My 14 year old doesn't do much in actual chores other than kitty litter and feeding the cat. (it's her cat) but she does help out a lot with the baby (14 months) so I can cook and clean so I guess it evens out. 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:09 AM
No kid leaves my house without knowing how to clean, cook, do laundry, change a tire, etc... During sports seasons, we may change what they have to do each week, but it does not let them off the hook.
momoftwo1980
by New Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I have two teenagers, through the week their chores are very mild such as empty the dishwasher and wipe down counter tops, one day of the weekend I have them help me from top to bottom. And they both are responsible for their own laundry. Throughout the school week I'd prefer them stay focused on their studies...

christsgirl674
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM

I have one teen, my DS. He doesn't do much and that's okay by us. We like him to relax and focus on being a kid and free from household responsibilities. 

He can do simple things, cook a meal, wash clothes, but I don't have him do it. He loves getting into the kitchen though.

Around here it's mostly fun, not a lot of work lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)