Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

It's been too long, but alot has happened

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM
  • 23 Replies

Just got out of the hospital with my daughter again.  Not sure if I posted last month about the ordeal with her teacher screaming at her after she found out she intended on going to the principal about this teacher bullying other students.  After screaming at her in front of the class for 10 minutes and encouraging the class to join in, my daughter was in hysterics.  Immediately removed her from the class but the damage had already been done.

Her health deteriorated, went back into a crohn's flare up and ended up at the hospital on the 3rd of January.  Was released on the 9th after getting her pancreatitis cleared up.  Apparently the crohn's of the stomach inflammed it so much that it was pressing on the pancreas and caused pancreatitis.  This is the 3rd time she's had that in 5 months and this time it wasn't caused by a drug.

Poor baby. We thought she would be able to go to school today, but she's had a cold, and too much fiber yesterday (she caught me half alseep and begged for cereal) and now after 45 minutes in the bathroom and lots of pain and blood, she's back in bed with a painkiller. 

Not sure what to do at this point.  I think that she needs to get better but there is no "quick fix" for this.  It takes time, diet, and the proper meds.  Well not sure if we are on the proper meds, and this diet is killing me.  She lost 16lbs with the ordeal since the 13th of December, and I have only once been able to get her calorie intake above 1000 for a day once since we came home from the hospital.

She's on a low fat, low fiber diet.  Usually I can find recipies for low fat OR low fiber, but I can find lean meats only for the both of them. She can't have vegetables or fruits (too much fiber) and cannot have milk products (lactose intolerant, drinks lactaid) and sugar gives her gas which causes incredible pain.

Sorry there really isn't a whole lot anyone here can do, but I just needed somewhere to vent about my helplessness and feelings of complete failure.

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graybealgirl
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs hope she feels better soon
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Wow, poor girl :( I don't remember seeing a post about the incident with the teacher. Are there going to be any consequences for him/her?

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM

(((Hugs)))  Poor girl : (   I was really hoping for her sake it was more under control now.

Has you tried having her take the Lactaid caplets to help w/ eating dairy? I'm lactose intolerant as well, and that stuff lets me eat cheese and yogurt w/o having any issues.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Oh my gosh .Bless all your hearts.

Yes I do remember that teacher and the meetings with the principal.

Does the doc or hospital have someone that can help you out with a meal plan and recipes?Because of the meds for my lupus I always am a gestational diabetic.Every time I met with a reg.dietitian that provided me with a meal plan and many menus tailored to me.The first time I followed it to the letter ,the second time I got a little bolder and learned counts and other  info.That allowed me to find recipes that met the needs of the diet other than the ones provided.

It would seem with Crohns being so well known now they would be able to point you to a cook book or website to help you find proper food for her.

GOOD LUCK....be careful with the pancreatic .I was in ICU for three days once....now I stay on top of it...lesson learned.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Because everyone with crohn's is different it's difficult to say that there should be a cookbook or something.  It would be nice, however most with crohn's can eat dairy.  She's drinking lactaid only.  Then you have the ones who can have sugar, she can't, it causes incredible gas and bloating which leads to incredible pain.  Lots of them drink smoothies, she can't touch them.  It's so frustrating!  

As for the meetings, I have had them with the superintendent too and spoken to several elected officials. I'm going to the school board meeting to speak out.  Don't worry, no pointing of fingers, no naming names, just education that when a child is mean to a child it is bully.  When a teacher does those same things that gets the child the "bully" label, it's listed under child abuse.

Quoting drfink:

Oh my gosh .Bless all your hearts.

Yes I do remember that teacher and the meetings with the principal.

Does the doc or hospital have someone that can help you out with a meal plan and recipes?Because of the meds for my lupus I always am a gestational diabetic.Every time I met with a reg.dietitian that provided me with a meal plan and many menus tailored to me.The first time I followed it to the letter ,the second time I got a little bolder and learned counts and other  info.That allowed me to find recipes that met the needs of the diet other than the ones provided.

It would seem with Crohns being so well known now they would be able to point you to a cook book or website to help you find proper food for her.

GOOD LUCK....be careful with the pancreatic .I was in ICU for three days once....now I stay on top of it...lesson learned.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Oh wow, my heart goes out to you for having to see your baby go through all of that and there is not much you can do. My heart goes out to her for having to deal with such a thing at a young age.

I will keep your family lifted up in prayer and I pray that she can come to a point where she can just relax and enjoy her childhood..

You are not a failure from the sounds of it you are being a great mother and doing the best you can and that is all that you can do.

Devious103102
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Hope she feels better quick =0(

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Geez, I sure wish you and your DD could catch a break!!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM

We might have caught a break!  I attended the school board meeting, handled it very well according to my husband.  Being drugged up pretty good and still not feeling alot of the effects of those drugs (for my agoraphobia) I couldn't tell myself whether or not I did well.  I guess I did since the journalist from the local paper (small time paper) approached me getting into my car wanting an interview and is going to call me later to set something up.  I am all for it!  I know my  CYA tricks.  Say nothing that cannot be proven, demand that your "opinions" are stated as opinions, of course, make her buy me a cup of coffee!

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Poor girl. I hope the school his dismissed that teacher. If they haven't you need to take some serious action. Hope your DD feels better. That her meds are the right ones. Hugs and prayers things get better fast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN