Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

To pay for grades or not?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM
  • 21 Replies
My mom always rewarded me for my grades by giving me money for each A and B I got. I am trying to decide whether to do the same thing for my daughter. There is so much controversy about it! My parents' thinking was they did not want me to work and go to school. They wanted me to focus on my education. So they gave me an allowance and rewarded me each semester for my good grades. When I look back on it I really never thought about the money until the grades came out, I strictly got good grades because I wanted them. But it was so nice to get a chunk of money at the end of each semester. What do you all think?
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1kidmomajm
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I was giving my son $4 A's and $3 for B;s. He's in middle school. Last couple times I just bought a video game gift card, cuz that's what he would have spent the money on. This school year he is doing very poorly, having trouble. So the subject has not come up. But if he improves, I will decide again what to do. I see nothing wrong with giving money for grades, but just a token.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

All of mine have gotten allowances unrelated to grades.So we donot do money rewards for grades.

If grades are as they should be I give a reward.Nothing to get too excited about and individualized.My sophomore is all about records or vinyl as he calls it so he got a gc to his favorite vinyl shop.My junior is dating and the group goes to a lot of movies so he got a gc to the movie theater they go to.I did this with my older two also.I don't know that it is motivation but more like a pat on the back ...job well done.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I personally expect my kids to do the best they can in school simply because it is the right thing to do.  I expect them to go through life doing what is right simply because it is right.... not for some sort of reward.  I rather them learn to respect who they are and their choices in life out of a sense of morality than reward.

In real life making the right choice isnt always rewarding, and often it is harder than the easy way out or a lesser choice.... but we want our children to grow into adults who will make that correct choice simply because it IS the right choice and not because they may get some personal gain out of it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Never paid.  It was their job to make good grades.  Kids need to make good grades to make good grades. 

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Personally, not my kind of thing. It goes against my "I'm not a money fountain" belief.

JessicaR7
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I don't pay my kids for good grades but I do reward them by allowing them to pick out a gift or something they want within reason.  I don't give my children an allowance either.  I felt like their grades were their job so they could take some ownership of it.  But to each his own; you do what you think is fine.  It seems like you were motivated to get good grades because you enjoyed learning and the money didn't really impact your efforts either way.

mamarj
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Th anks for everyones input. I just recently started giving dd an allowance, yet a small one, because I am trying to ward her away from the "Can I get this?" fight everytime we go anywhere. And to my surprise she is very frugal with her money. She gives herself a budget when she goes places and I love that she is learning that. So I wanted to give her oportunities to earn money since her allowance is so small.
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I pay for grades in my house it works for us. I only pay for honor roll or higher.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I don't pay my kids for grades or for chores. I do however pay them for going above and beyondthe normal things. We do reward them after a semester of good work by taking them out to dinner or a movie.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM
We never paid for grades, we expect them. But a good report card might get a kid lunch out or something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)