Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Hi

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and would like to gain support for me and my struggling teen.

We are both highly frustrated right now--so much so that he is going to his dad's house in Louisiana for awhile so that we can cool down. He is an only child and I am a single mom. It's always been just me and him. Sometimes I'm afraid he won't want to come back, but he knows that he has a very good life here with me. This is the most difficult thing I have ever done, but I really feel like he needs his dad right now. My teen is 16 yrs old.

I look forward to chatting with you all!

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BigMA
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi I've been here u need to jus talk to him not @ him let him express how he feels...

Carmen66
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Give hime time, boys struggle when it comes to not having a dad around. A little time with dad will make him miss you and appreciate you more.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Welcome hon. If things are bad, a break is probably what you both need.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Welcome. My HS boyfriend went to live with his Dad for a year or so. Then came back mid way senior year. Now his Dad was only 45 min from his Mom so not too far. It was a good thing for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I lived with my dad for a year at his age, although under different circumstances.  I do think it can be a good idea though.

mommie2madison
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Hugs to you Mama!  I'm sorry you're going through this.  I have a 13 year old, and while we don't struggle too badly, we live in SC and her father lives in NY.  She's mentioned the idea of living with him and it tears me up.  

When I was 13 I went to live with my father who lived in FL (and I lived in NY with my mom prior to that).  After being there a few months, I came running back to Mom.  So I'd like to think "if you let them go, they'll return), but at the same time, I wouldn't trust that my own daughter would return if given the chance to live with her father.  (He's a partier, lax, easy-going, lives a young/hip/cool lifestyle - and I imagine all of this would be intriguing for her).  

I hope it works out.  

JessicaR7
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I took a break from my daughter once (she actually went away for 100 days) and when I saw her again...she hugged me...really hugged me and we both cried.  She appreciated me so much when she came back and it was good for about six months, she started reverting back to her her old ways slowly but she is so much better than before the time apart.  I know it's hard hun but sometimes it is good for the relationship.  I am definitely praying that is the outcome you receive :)

Angela0520
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments! Tomorrow is the big day.

Angela
Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 15 years old and told me he wanted to move out and go to live with his Dad.
I was hurt and not ready for something like that, so I had this idea of allowing him to go and be with his Dad for the 11 weeks of summer vacation.
They both were happy about the idea.
Now, I am a little nervous that he may not want to come back to the old child custody agreement 4 days with me and 3 days with his Dad....as it has been for the last 5 years, but WE JUST HAVE TO BE THERE FOR OUR KIDS even when they want freedom from us, it is the right thing to do!

Quoting JessicaR7:

I took a break from my daughter once (she actually went away for 100 days) and when I saw her again...she hugged me...really hugged me and we both cried.  She appreciated me so much when she came back and it was good for about six months, she started reverting back to her her old ways slowly but she is so much better than before the time apart.  I know it's hard hun but sometimes it is good for the relationship.  I am definitely praying that is the outcome you receive :)

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I am hoping it goes well for my son and I too.
I am hoping it helps our relationship to get much better!

Quoting JessicaR7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)