Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Anyone else have a teen with severe anxiety? UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM
  • 17 Replies

Ever since my daughter's high school (she is 15) did a presentation on school shootings and gun violence she is a different kid. She cries all the time, has diarrhea, etc. My happy go lucky teen is now a mess. She is terrified she or someone she loves will get shot. I think the school should have warned the kids and parents what they were going to talk about. All we knew was that it was a presentation called ALICE. It was right around the anniversary of Sandy Hook, too. I think lock down drills are very important but I don't think rattling off how many teens have been killed during school shootings or how the shooters got in to the school or showing footage was really necessary. She missed 3 days of school with diarrhea before she finally confessed what was bothering her. I have her talking to her school psychologist this morning. Any advice? THANK YOU!

UPDATE: After talking her way through it with her school counselor and us she is much better! I think the passing of time has helped, too. Now that it is 2 weeks past the presentation she said the images seem to be fading. She is going out and going to school with no problems. THANK YOU to all of you who have shared helpful tips and experiences! 

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LivinDeadGurl
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

She may need to seek help outside the school. I would just continue to be there for her and let her know I am there should she want to talk.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Not mine. They even do a real life presentation every 4 years so each kid sees it on drunk driving, texting and driving. It is real life with life flight there and kids in body bags. Speakers who had killed also. Mine learned from it and didn't freak. Also had bomb threats that didn't phase them either.
I think you need to seek professional help. I would say most handle these things just fine.
Sad there was another school shooting at a middle school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kids4tara
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

She did great with the real life texting/drinking and driving presentations because she has control over those. She can decide not to ride with someone who is drunk, etc. She has no control over someone entering her school with a gun. Another school shooting and a deadly shooting at a movie theater doesn't help things.....

Quoting atlmom2: Not mine. They even do a real life presentation every 4 years so each kid sees it on drunk driving, texting and driving. It is real life with life flight there and kids in body bags. Speakers who had killed also. Mine learned from it and didn't freak. Also had bomb threats that didn't phase them either.
I think you need to seek professional help. I would say most handle these things just fine.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Then counseling is something I would do. I guess I and my girls are just the kind where we can't worry about things we cannot change or have control over. She is gonna have to realize this too.

Quoting 4kids4tara:

She did great with the real life texting/drinking and driving presentations because she has control over those. She can decide not to ride with someone who is drunk, etc. She has no control over someone entering her school with a gun. Another school shooting and a deadly shooting at a movie theater doesn't help things.....

Quoting atlmom2: Not mine. They even do a real life presentation every 4 years so each kid sees it on drunk driving, texting and driving. It is real life with life flight there and kids in body bags. Speakers who had killed also. Mine learned from it and didn't freak. Also had bomb threats that didn't phase them either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I would get help outside the school.  Ask your pediatrician to recommend a good therapist.

JessicaR7
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Reassure her that in all the time you were in school nothing like that happened to you and the chances of it happening to her are just as slim.  The chances of it happening to someone either of you know is slim.  In all her schooling, she has never witnessed a mass tragedy as well.  I would worry about your daugther if she didn't feel fear or anxiety from this topic...it's human nature and shows she has a heightened sense of compassion for others.  That's a great quality to have.

I pulled some info in the event that you may find it helpful:
Managing Anxiety Symptoms

If your symptoms are mild, you may be able to take simple steps to lessen your feelings of anxiety in the wake of a tragedy. In today's culture of social media and instant, 24 hour news coverage, we all need to disconnect occasionally. Turn off the TV, get away from the computer and spend time with loved ones. Take a hike through the woods or relax in a swimming pool. Getting plenty of rest allows you to recharge and rejuvenate, making you feel better both physically and mentally.

Make a plan of action. Take the time to find the exits in unfamiliar locations. Ensure that your cell phone is fully charged and easily accessible when heading out. Choose a meeting spot for friends and family in case you are separated. Although we cannot plan for every situation, coming up with a basic emergency checklist can help us feel prepared and more in control.

Know when to get help. If your fears begin to impact your life, you may need professional assistance. Sleeping too little or too much, avoiding specific locations or activities for more than a few weeks, trouble concentrating, feelings of isolation, and a lack of joy in life are just a few signs that your fear may be too much for you to manage alone. Fortunately, with treatment and a bit of hard work, you can beat tragedy-related anxiety.

I hope the above is helpful and I wish you luck with your daughter...I'm sure she will be fine.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My 17 year old was diagnosed with anxiety and mild depression a few months ago, but not at the level it sounds like your daughter's anxiety is at.  I've had her in counseling with a Licensed Professional Counselor who specializes in children and teens, and it seems to have helped.  I highly recommend taking her to see a professional who deals with these types of problems on a daily basis.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM
She can't control drunks on the road or others that text and drive. We cannot control others and have to live our life worry free and move on.

Quoting 4kids4tara:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

wow , they should of let parents know about this and decide if they wanted their kid to see it or not

intheheart
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this

My 15y/o daughter has had genrealized and severe anxiety most of her life.  Sounds like your daughters anxiety is situational. I hope you find a therapist outside of school that she can trust.  I wish you the best.  It is a terrible reality to live with (your child's panic/anxiety and extreme reactions).  

And certainly... agreed that the parents should have the option to say "NO" when material is being presented that will have a significant negative impact.  I am tired of schools making parenting decisions FOR me.  It's hard enough that our children are exposed to far more stimulus that we didn't have as kids and that we often have no opportunity to censor.  I am so sorry your daughter is traumatized.  Again, I hope you all can find support and some peace!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN