Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

'When am I ever going to use this in real life?'

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 43 Replies

So I am having a conversation with my nephew while he is struggling thru his geometry  homework.

Finally in frustration he says, 'when am I ever going to use this in real life? I am not going to be an architect'

I had to laugh because he is right. I never used geometry or physics or astronomy or algebra or many other things I was required to learn in school.

Do you remember thinking that about any of your classes? Which ones?

Which classes did you actually use in real life?

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Not many, lol. Typing I used a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM
4 moms liked this

I BEG TO DIFFER!

You may not use geometry daily in a finite manner.... but you use the thought processes learned EVERY DAY.  Learning math IS essential because it helps you learn problem solving.  You learn SO much more in math than numbers, you learn to THINK.  You learn to think linearly/logically AND in applications like geometry you learn to think spatially or one might say in a more global manner.  That isnt to say that math is the only way but it is MUCH more important than simply knowing how to find the arc length of a curve...... It truly helps your mind grow.

I would have put that nonsense to rest if my child complained about the usefulness of an education.... math doesnt come easy to everyone (my oldest daughter) but it is sooooo valuable a thing to strive to learn.

sorry... guess that comment hit a nerve with me.... I have had to sit my oldest daughter down and explain the errors in her thought process many times.  Just because something in life is difficult does not make it useless to learn.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I can honestly say that I have used some part of EVERY class I have taken.  Either at work or socially.  There is never a wasted class.

Have I retained it all.... no. 

Quoting Reina13:

Which classes did you actually use in real life?

Sister_Someone
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I use biology, chemistry/science and certain fields of math in my everyday life. I'd say that has everything to do with the fact I chose to become a biologist.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM

an endless discussion at our house....especially when they are looking to get out of homework bwahaha

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Latin.
It was compulsory at my Catholic all girls school and I was terrible at it. I have used it once since, and it was a few months ago when my 17yr old's friend (well, now girlfriend) was over after school and she also attends a Catholic all girls school so her school uniform has a latin phrase on it, DS17 asked what it said and she said she couldn't remember, so I told them what it said.

It felt good to finally have a use for it, even if it was 5 words in over 20 years.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Oh my gosh ....you have been eavesdropping at my house off and on for the past 18 or so years.They have been known to pull this out for math ,foreign language ,world history ,physics and.....

Thought you looked familiar lol

Some days they have done what is needed no complaints but others I pull out the soapbox.You would have thought my younger ones would learned from the older ones this doesn't fly but nooooooo ; )

Quoting sahlady:

I BEG TO DIFFER!

You may not use geometry daily in a finite manner.... but you use the thought processes learned EVERY DAY.  Learning math IS essential because it helps you learn problem solving.  You learn SO much more in math than numbers, you learn to THINK.  You learn to think linearly/logically AND in applications like geometry you learn to think spatially or one might say in a more global manner.  That isnt to say that math is the only way but it is MUCH more important than simply knowing how to find the arc length of a curve...... It truly helps your mind grow.

I would have put that nonsense to rest if my child complained about the usefulness of an education.... math doesnt come easy to everyone (my oldest daughter) but it is sooooo valuable a thing to strive to learn.

sorry... guess that comment hit a nerve with me.... I have had to sit my oldest daughter down and explain the errors in her thought process many times.  Just because something in life is difficult does not make it useless to learn.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM
I agree, you never know when you will need something and you will be surprised what pops out of our rusty old brains!

DS1 just.changed his goal from infantry soldier.to cop like DH. We.were discussing math amd the algebra that DH uses daily as a traffic collision investigator. Using the length of skid marks and the type (weight) of a vehicle to calculate speed to find cause in accidents. Report writing is English Comp. PE in chasing bad guys, etc, etc etc. It really opened his eyes.
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

glad Im not the only one.

we must have been given the same handbook in the hospital... I think this might be speech 3.141592 or is it speech 11235813?

Quoting drfink:

Oh my gosh ....you have been eavesdropping at my house off and on for the past 18 or so years.They have been known to pull this out for math ,foreign language ,world history ,physics and.....

Thought you looked familiar lol

Some days they have done what is needed no complaints but others I pull out the soapbox.You would have thought my younger ones would learned from the older ones this doesn't fly but nooooooo ; )

Quoting sahlady:

I BEG TO DIFFER!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM

maybe they just need to make the word problems more interesting and tangible.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:  DH uses daily as a traffic collision investigator. Using the length of skid marks and the type (weight) of a vehicle to calculate speed to find cause in accidents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN