Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Not Doing Enough In School

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son has been slacking in school these past months.  He recently recieved a lecture about not doing enough work at school from a teacher.   I didn't know there was even a problem!  They never called or wrote me any letters.  So, finally I talk to "The Teacher" who lectured him.  She said he is passing b's and c's but, she feels individually he is lazy and he goes out of his way too do as less as possible.  I am not sure about school myself but,he is a bit lazy here.  I thought it was a typical teen thing.  Now, I know there is a problem at school..I am not sure what to do.  He said some of the things she said upset him.  He also said that he has trouble doing some things and feels frustrated so, he takes the easist way out.  I have know idea what the actual truth is.  Is this a big deal for schools?  Now, that I know it is a problem for them, I want to take action somehow.  I am just not sure how.  Anyone been throught this or have good advice?

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM

First find out if there is a health issue, like anxiety or depression, that could be causing the slip in grades. An evaluation with his doctor would be the first step.

Then you have to figure out what motivates him. I read yesterday of a mom who tried everything but the only thing that worked for her child was money--she worked hard for A's and B's to get the payout at the end of the grading period. For my kids, they know college is not optional, and slacking off in school would mean living at home and attending community college for at least a year or two--they want more options than that, so they work hard to ensure they are able to get into a good school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Tutoring, check homework nightly. Do you have a website you can check on grades? We did. I checked weekly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 4:54 PM

My dd was always self motivated, but ds, digs himself into an academic hole and has to dig himself out!! ARG!!  We have done a few college tours, som nice ones and some he did not like.  I remind him that right now he can get only to the ones that he does not like academicaly or he could stay home with mommy. I hope that i motivation.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I don't think it is a 'problem' for the school.   The teacher feels he is not working to his potential and is trying to motivate him to set the bar higher.     I strongly encouraged my sons to always do their best....never settle for 'good enough'.    If high school classes prove tough, college classes will be much tougher.   Encourage your son to tell you when he is frustrated or struggling, and ask for help.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN