Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

SD is driving me and DH nuts!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

Every time DH and I are having a conversation SD butts in. DH will say something to me, or vice versa and SD will be in the kitchen (we are in the living room) and SD will say "why did he do that?" etc. It is SO FREAKING ANNOYING! I was talking to DH in the kitchen and SD was in her room, asked about the cheese, and SD comes running out of her room "What did you say momma?" WTF?! I love her dearly but seriously it makes me want to scream! DH gets just as annoyed because it seems we can not have ANY conversation without her nosing her way into it! We will tell her it isn't her business, we will ignore her, we will make a comment about it and she just laughes. UGH, does anyone else's teen do this?!

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Consequences since she is not listening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

That would get on my last nerve very quickly.      I would tell her flat out that if you wanted her to participate in the convo, you would have included her.     When she has her friends over, you should do the same thing to her..... let her see how annoying it is.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I've done this. Took 2 or 3 phone calls to get the message through and then she stopped. When she started again it was at a time where she wasn't accepting visitors or phone calls (depression) so I couldn't do the same lesson.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

That would get on my last nerve very quickly.      I would tell her flat out that if you wanted her to participate in the convo, you would have included her.     When she has her friends over, you should do the same thing to her..... let her see how annoying it is.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I have this problem more with my 9 year old than my teens, LOL.  I don't think our teens really care what we are talking about most of the time!  Their lives are soooo much more dramatic and important than ours. :-)  But with the 9-year-old I will tell her what we are talking about if it is something I don't mind her hearing about, but if it is private I just tell her it was a conversation between her dad and I and not meant for her ears.  She will fuss and complain but forgets about it pretty quickly if I redirect her.  I think some kids are just nosier and more curious than others--it's a personality thing.

gonecrazi
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

No, but my 11 year old does.

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:22 PM

You have to stop her and redirect her EVERY time she does it. WHen she get tired of being redirected she will quit it. Like any bad habit, you have to break it and only time and consistency will do it. ANnoying as it is to put up with, it can be just as annoying to correct. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM

No experience with this. Sorry. Here's a bump.

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her she must stay with you every minute since she wants to be in all your conversations don't let her have any alone time to do anything she wants until she stops.  This means she watches what you want on tv, if you are reading she has to sit there either reading or just sit there and be quiet no talking,  no computer or video games for her because you don't want her to be distracted and miss something.  It shouldn't take long to get the point across.

BelleVernonGirl
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:47 AM

And she's how old?  My 6 y/o nephew does this...If my teen did this idk if I could control myself...so disrespectful and immature!

Renilia
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My SD did this for awhile too. It seriously is annoying!! I know! DH finally snapped cause it was happening pretty much everytime we opened our mouths to talk to each other. SD got grounded for a couple days and was told to mind her own business, not to jump into someone elses converstations because its rude, he would say "Were we talking to you?" if not stay out, remember she is still a child and that we are adults and she needs to show respect and mind her manners. After she got ungrounded DH went over the rules about minding her own business and she pretty much stopped. She does it from time to time but no where NEARLY as much as before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN