Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Registering for high school

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 15 Replies

SD goes on her tour of the high school in two weeks and then they will be signing up for classes. I was just reading through the handbook and it is seriously overwhelming! SD will have to choose a "major" as well as sign up for classes for 9th grade. She will most likely be taking all honors classes as she is taking honors algebra and english this year and has straight A's. I am honestly having my own anxiety about her classes and want to make sure that she is on the right track.

For those who have already been through this step how is this process? What should we expect?

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Renilia
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Just went through this with SD she is a freshmen this year. It can be alot to take in at once.

What we did was sit down with SD and read through what the yearly requirments where. She had to take an english, science, PE, and math classes. So we make sure to get those picked out right away. Then we went through the elective classes and what major she would want. Now don't worry she can alway change her major. My SD picked her major as animal science last year before school started but NOW she wants to do biotechnology as her major and we are changing it next week.

Just take it one step at a time and make sure you SD keeps an open mind about major cause you never know what she will discover in high school that she would rather take as her major.

bellasmom32510
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Thank you! She has wanted to be a doctor since she was 7. I think she will probably choose Medical Science and Research as her major but I know she will want to take Anatomy and physiology so I am hoping she will be able to take that class.

Quoting Renilia:

Just went through this with SD she is a freshmen this year. It can be alot to take in at once.

What we did was sit down with SD and read through what the yearly requirments where. She had to take an english, science, PE, and math classes. So we make sure to get those picked out right away. Then we went through the elective classes and what major she would want. Now don't worry she can alway change her major. My SD picked her major as animal science last year before school started but NOW she wants to do biotechnology as her major and we are changing it next week.

Just take it one step at a time and make sure you SD keeps an open mind about major cause you never know what she will discover in high school that she would rather take as her major.

Renilia
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Just make sure to turn the paperwork in as soon as possible to make sure she gets her frist pick of classes. And Good Luck to you and her.  

Quoting bellasmom32510:

Thank you! She has wanted to be a doctor since she was 7. I think she will probably choose Medical Science and Research as her major but I know she will want to take Anatomy and physiology so I am hoping she will be able to take that class.

Quoting Renilia:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! My son is in 8th grade too, and we're still struggling with making a final decision on which high school he should go to. It's such a big decision.

katydon
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I've never heard of having to choose a major in high school. That's interesting. My DD's school has required classes and a lot of electives to choose from. My DD got almost all of her required classes out of the way. Now she is registering for her senior year and could choose 3 or 4 electives. She still doesn't know what she wants to go to school for in college so she is taking advantage of some of the electives that may be useful in figuring out what she wants to be.

bellasmom32510
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM
The major here is for students who are on the college track and are looking for a diploma with distinction. She has to maintain a GPA of 4.2 (out of 5 because she is taking honors classes) in order to get a gold, she has to also have a major and be involved in a school activity every year from 9th-12th grades.

Quoting katydon:

I've never heard of having to choose a major in high school. That's interesting. My DD's school has required classes and a lot of electives to choose from. My DD got almost all of her required classes out of the way. Now she is registering for her senior year and could choose 3 or 4 electives. She still doesn't know what she wants to go to school for in college so she is taking advantage of some of the electives that may be useful in figuring out what she wants to be.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:19 AM

At our school the major is more about electives.Take pre-a.p. aka honors and a.p. classes.Because it has to do with electives they are allowed to change ,it is not permanent.We have found taking speech and health on line helps open time and space for a fun elective besides academic electives.Our school district offers K-12 on line for any enrolled student.The benefit of using this online platform for these two classes are  the grades are averaged in the g.p.Be sure to check to see if any online platform 's grades count...we want the A's.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Our school asked freshman to choose a major as well, it's not set in stone. Incoming freshman and their parents met with the guidance counselors to pick classes. They meet again during their junior year.

Ewa101
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:55 AM

My son had to do that too - not to choose the major, because he is in the science oriented school, but to pick courses.  I believe, the guidance counselors will make sure that she picks the classes she needs, so this is something she does not have to worry about.   In my son's school it was more about how heavy a load kids want to carry:  how many honors, how many AP courses.  Some of them even skip lunch in order to add one more classes.  If you have doubts, maybe you have access to her guidance counselor, but I am sure in the end, she will not make any terrible mistakes.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM
I found it easy and here there is no major. Our school offers 90 classes. Freshman year most classes were told to our dd's to take. They had one or 2 electives and those were still must takes. There was never anxiety till college around here. We don't have weighted classes. Strictly a 4.0 scale. Anatomy cannot be taken till junor year. Everyone here takes science 9 either honors or regular. Sophomore year Biology or honors bio and smart kids can take chemistry or honors chem along with Bio Sophomore year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN