Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Drunk 13-Year-Old Kills 6-Year-Old Girl But It Wasn't Her Fault

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

Drunk 13-Year-Old Kills 6-Year-Old Girl But It Wasn't Her Fault (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley

A 38-year-old Florida dad has been charged with manslaughter in the death of his 6-year-old daughter -- and the way it happened will just make you shake your head and pray for humanity. David Courson was in his truck on his property, only he wasn't driving the truck. For some bizarre reason, a 13-year-old girl was. The girl put the truck in gear and instead of moving the truck forwards, she mistakenly flung into reverse -- and ran over the man's 6-year-old daughter, Rebecca. The truck killed her. As if that isn't tragic and horrible enough, here comes the real head slapper: Both the man and the 13-year-old driver were allegedly drunk.

Courson and the teenage girl were reportedly not related. Why she was driving the truck was anyone's guess, but if he were giving her driving lessons, doing it drunk was the dumbest thing imaginable.

One cop summed up why an allegedly inebriated teen might have been driving the car, saying:

No good reason, other than lack of responsibility of the one adult that was there at the house.

Sounds about right.

The 13-year-old could be charged with DUI manslaughter charges too, pending a blood test. I'm sorry, but at 13 years old, you aren't thinking clearly. You still rely on the adults around you to guide and influence your decisions. A teen girl is susceptible to being plied with alcohol by an adult and allowed the thrill of driving.

It's up to the adult to know that is a boneheaded idea, not the girl. And up to the adult to make sure that there aren't any children in the area of the truck.

Reportedly, Courson's other daughter, a 12-year-old, also reeked of booze. Courson is reportedly unemployed and his wife was at work while this tragic scenario went down. Can you imagine coming home to find one daughter dead, and one allegedly drunk, and some other teen driving the truck that killed your baby?

Rebecca's 8-year-old brother was also apparently in the truck -- no word on whether he too had been imbibing.

The father must be devastated about what happened, but there are consequences to being so incredibly irresponsible. And now he's going to face them.

video here

Do you think the teen driver should be charged?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Yes I do. The father and the teen should both be charged.
Maverick1957
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

BOTH should be charged!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Hell yes, she needs charged.  Big time charges.  Drunk at 13??  Just wow.  What is this world coming to?

Mommy2Boys0900
by Donnie's Mom on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM
I think they both should be charged
02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:40 PM

They should both be charged to prevent her from drinking and driving again and him so he won't give alcohol to minors or drink and drive himself

I bet he was up to no good getting her drunk

HeathersRich
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:48 PM
So sad :( That's my daughters name. Yes they both are responsible. The 13 year old is old enough to know it's illegal to drive till 15/16 and drink alcohol till 21. Unfortunately if she's let off she won't learn there's consequences to her actions. One stupid mistake she'll pay for, for the rest of her life.
tyfry7496
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:38 PM
They BOTH need to be charged. A 13 year old knows that drinking alcohol is bad and illegal at her age. My son knew that at 5. In my state she could not only be charged with manslaughter but she could be charged, tried and punished as an adult.

She needs stuff consequences so she doesn't relearn her stupidity.

An innocent 6 year old is dead because of pure stupidity.

Lax5
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Both should be charged!! He should be additionally be charged with contributing to a minor, child endangerment, child abuse and anything else he can be charges with.
jujubear1
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Both should be charged. At 13, you're plenty old enough to just say no. I'm sure she feels horrible, but she had to know drinking and driving is wrong no matter what your age.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)