Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

depression with psychosis

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM
  • 15 Replies
Some of yall may remember me. My 13 year old is hearing voices and yall helped me out a while ago.

Well she finally got the diagnosis of depression with psychosis. Any of yall have experience with this or a child with a similar diagnosis?

I'm looking for resources for information and how to cope. So far enough everything I come across is geared towards adult patients.

Thanks ladies!
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Khanfan
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

NAMI.org  may be helpful.

My 13 yr old dd started cutting last summer.  Twice I've caught her purging.  I looked into where to go for help for her.   So I registared with this NAMI.org.  Fom what I've read it might be helpful in guiding us in our seach for help.

itsy1
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. I'll check that out.

I've gone through cutting and eating issues with my daughter too. If you want to talk, I'm here.
butzi
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Ask your mental health providers for information regarding support groups in your area... For you. Not so much you daughter though some groups are helpful for kids. Support groups can be an amazing font of information regarding resources available both locally and on line
itsy1
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, butzi. I've already asked her psychologist for a list and when we see the p-doc nurse practitioner for her office I plan on asking her too.
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Look into seeing if you can get her a therapeutic mentor. I would also look into camps in your area. I know here in the city the big hospitals run them for kids with mental health issues. Also if you have what's called a CSA or community service agency that deals with children with mental health. Not all states have them but I am a family partner with our local CSA. I work with the parent to help them find all the right services in the area. I attend school meetings, doctors visits and meet with the care givers weekly. 

gonecrazi
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I agree NAMI.org maybe you best bet. My son has depression and ADD. He takes meds for both.

mommersx4
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Nami has helped with my dealing with my son's bipolar disorder. I need to get back to the meetings, I have been feeling things are out of control again.My advise is to take one day at a time.

anonymous12308
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:50 AM
I was diagnosed with post partum psychosis. I have dealt with depression for 11 years as well.
itsy1
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Can I ask you a few questions about what it's like to have psychosis? I don't want to ask my daughter because I don't want to "make a big deal" out of it.

You can even message me if you don't want to discuss it here.

Quoting anonymous12308: I was diagnosed with post partum psychosis. I have dealt with depression for 11 years as well.
itsy1
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Thanks mommersx4. The NAMI site is really good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN