Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tired of fighting about hygiene.

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM
  • 25 Replies

DH and I are constantly have to remind our kids to brush their teeth/shower/change underwear regularyly,  I thought that by the time they hit their teens they would be conscious about body/breath odor.  I mean if this is the age they start becoming interested in the opposite sex (not that I'm promoting that either) they would take better care to wash.  Should I just let it go and wait to realize it on their own?  I just feel as if its my job to make sure they're are taking care of themselves.  Any thoughts? 

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KathreneW
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM

My eldest son who is a fresman, showers regularly. However I ALWAYS have to remind him to brush & put deorderant on. He uses mouth wash & body spray, and thinks that is enough! I will not stop reminding him, I agree with you: it is my job. Good luck girl!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM
I would be upset at teens that cannot do simple hygiene. They wouldn't get to do anything at all till they could brush their teeth and take a shower.
Why do they not care??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
not-the-momma
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM

They do shower, but not without argument or attempted negotiation (I just took one yesterday...)  It's the brushing teeth and changing dirty underwear that's a little more difficult to enforce.  Since they are teens they go in the bathroom in the morning to shower, brush, etc., but sometimes its so quick I believe they can't actually be doing it all.  Sometimes after they leave for school I check their bathroom and notice the toothbrush/toothpaste doesn't look used.  As for the underwear, I know they aren't changing them because I only get about 1 or 2 pairs of underwear per week in the dirty laundry.  We've asked them about this numerous times and they admit that they 'forgot' a few times.  I even suggested that DH take a clean pair of underwear into the bathroom when SS is showering and switch them for the dirty ones.  He only did it once though.

Quoting atlmom2: I would be upset at teens that cannot do simple hygiene. They wouldn't get to do anything at all till they could brush their teeth and take a shower.
Why do they not care??

1kidmomajm
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM

OMG, I have to bug my son all the time. It's a fact of life, you just do it because that is a requirment of life I tell him!! I don't want him to gross others out or just be germy in general. But sometimes I feel like not saying anything for a week. Maybe he will get it when a teacher or a kid tells him he is gross. I would rather it not get to that, but maybe it's the only way it will work. Itchy head, dirty fingernails, same pants all week, it's gross, and maybe he has to feel really gross before he realizes it. I have made check lists, but they just get forgotten about.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM

That is something I could not tolerate, and I have pretty high tolerance for most things.

For teeth brushing, I would be taking them to the dentist to get the plaque scraped off. That's not pleasant, but if you're not brushing your teeth it's guaranteed to be there and there will be regular plaque scrapings until they can take care of their oral hygiene themselves.

Underpants multiple days in a row is disgusting. It's completely out of character for me but in that circumstance all I can imagien I could do is stand there and make them hand me their dirty underpants for the wash on a day-to-day basis.

This is basic hygiene that they should have down by now.

not-the-momma
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM

A couple of years ago SS had some kind of rash 'down there'.  I told him it was probably caused by wearing dirty underwear (I don't know if that has been scientifically proven, but who cares?)  The Dr. gave him a topical cream for it, and although she didn't confirm my suspicions she did tell him he should definitely be changing his underwear.  Oh and hows this?  SS was embarassed that I told his Dr that he doesn't change his underwear regularly.  I told him, if you're not willing change your underwear, you'd better be willing to own up to it.  He did start changing them for a short time, but now he's back to his old ways. 

zellie399
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Ha-Ha sorry for the laugh but yes I have a teen (12) boy too and I have to remind him also lol. But yeah I guess that's live and just have to keep on doing it because I'm his mom ha-ha

Linagma03
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:42 AM
I have a 15 yr old boy that still doesn't do any of that unless told. I finally got to the point that I let him go to school that way thinking that if he got told by people at school that he was the stinky kid it would solve the problem it didn't. He just doesn't care. We've told him repeatedly that he stinks, his clothes stink and it didn't and doesn't make a difference. So now I tell him just like I would a little kid. He gets mad saying I'm treating like a baby and I keep telling him I'll treat him like one until he begins to act his age.

Good luck!
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jan. 25, 2014 at 3:28 AM
I'm honestly shocked by all of the responses? If either one of my teens had done this DS just turned 21 away at college and DD is 16 I would have been so disgusted I don't think it would have been tolerated? I just don't think it would have been an issue in my house because my kids knew this was simply not ok and always have chosen themselves to be clean? It doesn't seem normal at all to me? I've never heard this from friends parents as well? Good luck hope you find something that works
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM

never had that problem except girl forget to brush teeth at night 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)