Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teens with Sensory Issues

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM
  • 22 Replies

My ds is 13 1/2, 8th grade. He is generally a good kid. Uususally gets great grades. This past semester he has done poorly ( for him), like 2 D's alot of C's and a B and A.  He is smart and is  full of information, but chokes on tests. I have a meeting with the school counselor and teachers to get him back on track and discuss if any type of evaluation should be done. Since Andrew was about 2 or 3 I notices he doesn't like textures. He will get dirty from playing, but he doesn't like arts and crafts, he doesn't like touching certain foods. He used to get bothered by echoing sounds, like in a mall. Now he gets really bothered by kids chewing gum, clicking pens and even by the fact that they are not paying attention in class. Like if a kid is reading a magazine or doodling, or if a kid just acts dorky, he lets it bother him so much that he loses focus on what is being taught in the class. He forgets to bring homework home sometimes and doesn't organize his time well when he has projects. I have to remind him to take a freakin' shower  all the time. I just had a ton of bloodwork done on him which was all normal. I have heard of Misophonia which is a disgust for noises from other people, but it seems visually he gets distracted too. I am going to ask the teachers to let him sit in the front row of class. He may be a little ADD not ADHD with some of his behavior. He does have some anxiety issues like speaking up in some of his classes, this is new.

I have still and my son has really bad food texture issues too. There are foods we don't eat. I didn't let him on to my issues till a few years ago, so I know he isn't copying me. He is always willing to try a new food.  As for his diet, he does not eat alot of junk, too much starchy stuff, and we are working on eating more protein in the morning!

Does anyone have teens with sensory issues? What do you do about it? How do you handle it? Thanks!

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Counseling????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1kidmomajm
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM

He has met with the school counselor several times. He says he isn't sad, as in to see a physchiatrist. Doctors over the years have brushed off his sensitivities and said he will grow out of it.

Quoting atlmom2: Counseling????

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have an IEP? Or any accommodations in class? For my son we are working on tolerance. So with my son he needs to tolerate people in his space. For him that is if he can reach someone with his arms or legs stretched out as far as they go, than you are in his space. We are working slowly by getting in his space. A little more each day until he can handle it without reacting. It's a lot of hard work and a lot of consistency but it works. 

Dewinter
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD has aspbergers , the sensory problems your DS is having is the same sensory problems my DD has. Insist on him being checked, don't go through his school ask a doctor for a referral for a good psychiatrist.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd ask your son's doctor to prescribe an OT eval. They can do sensory integration screenings and treat the issues.

1kidmomajm
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I now have a mtg at the school monday to see if he should be evaluated. Although Im not sure what they are thinking of evaluating. He literally loses focus by being bothered by noises and kids doing their own figiting and doodling etc. He says he just spaces out, he is not doodling or reading or figiting himself. So I will check and see if sensory integration screening is something the school can be asked to do, if not then I will find out what type of doctor does it.

Quoting mumsy2three:

I'd ask your son's doctor to prescribe an OT eval. They can do sensory integration screenings and treat the issues.

1kidmomajm
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM

No IEP, but maybe that will end up. We are just at the start of figuring out why he is spacing out and that his sensory issues are now affecting school. Are you doing this desensitization on your own or have you been given a program to follow? What kind of testing was done to figure your son needs help with this tolerance.  I am interested .. . Sounds like it may be a path for us to take.

Quoting Jessiejack:

Does he have an IEP? Or any accommodations in class? For my son we are working on tolerance. So with my son he needs to tolerate people in his space. For him that is if he can reach someone with his arms or legs stretched out as far as they go, than you are in his space. We are working slowly by getting in his space. A little more each day until he can handle it without reacting. It's a lot of hard work and a lot of consistency but it works. 

bookdragon
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Dewinter, see about getting him tested for Autism/Aspergers. I also have a teen DS that has some sensory issues,he is considere high functioning autistic because he is in a regular classroom setting. It wouldn't hurt to have some one evaluate him for being on the spectrum. 

1kidmomajm
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for your input, if anyone has more, I will listen.

btherese
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

He sounds just like my dd who is 13 1/2 also. I had to pull her out of public school because her usually good grades were sinking quickly, and she is doing charter school online called Connections or Connexus. She loves it and the only problem now is getting her out to see her friends and do social things. But so far, so good! I haven't gotten her diagnosed with anything but my suspicions are autism spectrum, very high functioning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)