Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Am I the only one? (two part post) Long but please read.

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 21 Replies

First please pray for this family.......

Last Saturday, we lost a young, vibrant, and beautiful 16 yo girl and school-mate of my 17yo son. She and her 13yo sister were picked up by the 16yo girl's 18yo boyfriend with plans to go into town and get some dinner. 180 feet from the girls' driveway, the boy lost control of the car and crashed into a tree. It is believed that he swerved to avoid hitting an animal and over corrected, losing control. The 16yo was in the front passenger seat and took the brunt of the impact. The sister was behind her in the back seat. The 16yo died instantly. The 13yo sister suffered two broken legs, multiple internal injuries, and a concussion. She was life flighted to a trauma center and stablized before being transferred to the children's hospital. The boyfriend suffered a minor concussion and was released the same day. It was confirmed that neither of the kids were under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. 

Although this was nothing but a tragic accident and I cannot place blame on anyone, I do have a problem with one aspect of this situation. The boyfriend was driving his brand new 2014 Ford Mustang. This is a very powerful car.

Am I the only parent who thinks that this car should never have been given to a child to drive? Even if I had the money to buy my kids any vehicle they wanted, I would never give them such a powerful car. No matter how good of a driver I might feel they are, this car is not appropriate for someone with so little experience. Yet, time and again, I see parents purchasing cars for their kids that are too much for any kid to handle. 

What do you think? Are sports cars like this appropriate for kids?

Please pray for this family. They buried their beloved daughter yesterday. Their 13yo is still recovering in the hospital. She only learned of her sister's death two days before the funeral. She had been in a medically induced coma because of the toll her nightmares and flashbacks were taking on her already injured body. Naturally, she was devastated to learn that her nightmares were true. (She had been waking up screaming her sister's name. The doctors believe she was experiencing seeing her sister die at the moment of impact.) This young man has returned to school but is in a devastating mental state. He is having enormous guilt over the death of his girlfriend. 

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM
I agree with you. In Australia they have limits on what type of car teens/certain licence types can own/drive in order to prevent these things.
lovekisses
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:45 PM

so very sad.  Prayers being sent for the family.  yes, I agree with you... there is no reason to purchase such a powerful car for an inexperienced driver.  So very sad.

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I think this would be a good thing for any country.

Quoting GleekingOut: I agree with you. In Australia they have limits on what type of car teens/certain licence types can own/drive in order to prevent these things.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Accidents happen to kids as well as adults in all types of cars. Very sad. Mine had their own cars at 17. I don't consider a Mustang a powerful car. I had one as a teen.
DD 22 races at a drag strip. Her own car. She is an adult. We don't like it but this is her life. She put $5000 into her car so she can race it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Tragic but you can't bubble wrap your kids.

I have no problem with a teen having a fast/sporty car as long as they know the consequences. I'm sure he has seen car accidents in the past. Some kids just have the "it can't happen to me" mentality so they would have an accident no matter what car they were in.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM

OMG how awful. This gives me cold chills.  Several of my 17-year-old daughter's guy friends drive Mustangs.  However, the majority of them are the bottom of the line, 6 cylinder models, which actually have very high safety ratings.  They really don't have much more power than the average sedan that is out on the road. Now a Shelby with an 8 cylinder engine would be a different story...fortunately none of my daughter's friends drive one of those as far as I know (they are far more expensive than a standard Mustang). 

My daughter drives a 2013 compact car that also scored very high on safety and crash tests.  I suppose if she (heaven forbid) got into a bad accident, I could be faulted for having purchased a compact car for her, even though it had very high safety ratings.  There is always a 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' in every tragic situation; but, as you said, it was just a terrible accident. 

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Kids drive reckless in all kinds of cars. I knew a guy in high school was rolled his truck and was thrown out and killed. He was driving way too fast and not wear his seat belt. My heart breaks for all the families involved.
pinkiebabii
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:27 PM
I totaled my car at 16. It was a peace of shit Buick lesabre.
I think newer cars are much safer with all the safety features. My mom has a 2013 camaro and it is top rated in safety.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM

My heart goes out to the family and the boy.   Simply heartbreaking.

I agree that fast, powerful cars for teens are not smart ideas.   Too much car and too little experience.   Muscle cars today are sooo much more powerful than they were back in our day.     When my 23 yr old was in HS, he had a classmate whose Dad bought him a brand new Mustang.   The kid wrapped it around a tree and is lucky to be alive.  His Dad replaced the car with an identical one.  SMH.    The kid wrecked it, too. 

My 20 yr old was recently involved in a wreck as a passenger in his buddy's souped up Trans Am.   Dh and I knew the minute we saw that car that it was trouble!   Sure enough, the driver lost control on a curve and hit the guardrail.  Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

tcallisto
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Such a tragic story :-( Sad for the family and the boyfriend who will always feel guilt over it.

We bought an old 86' Chevy 3/4 ton truck for my son for when he is able to drive. Accidents can happen in any vehicle at any time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN