Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

WHY ARE TEENS SO SELF ENTITLED THESE DAYS?!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:45 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this
Why oh why are kids/teens soo self entitled?? When I was a teen (I'm 30 so it wasn't THAT long ago) I babysat until I was of legal working age for my state. Everyone I knew couldn't wait to have a job and make their own money and how great it was to get that life experience and start saving for a car, college, etc... AND have your own money to spend??? Nothing was better than that when I was a teen, and I'm talking while going to school. These days kids are so much older by the time they get their first job. They expect mom and dad to buy them a car and pay for insurance and their cell phone bill and so on. Why? What is so different about kids these days? Why are they so lazy???
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:52 AM
I was 18 when I got my first job. My dd was 18 too. I am 52. Not spoiled, grew up middle class. I wasn't lazy. HS was my job and same with my girls.
My dd does fine saving and paying for things now. Not entitled. She saved $10,000 in 3 years from a part time job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof4loves4
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd say because education is more important than ever.

I'm 57, had my first "job" at 12 walking dogs.  Graduated at 13 to correcting papers for my blind 6th grade teacher.  Worked a brief stint as a waitress at 15, then went to fast food at 16.

It's not so easy now.  Stores and fast food don't want to hire anyone under 18 for osha laws, and because they are now unable to work late.  Not a lot for teens to do really.  And many parents ARE more affuent than their parents are, so they buy their kids stuff - a lot of stuff early on.  A car and such is the next progression.

We bought cars for our kids to drive (technically a mid size pickup).  One boy and 3 girls.  It wasn't their truck legally, and they knew it.  We expected them to work hard through high school, do extracurriculars and do them well (because colleges are harder to get into now).  They did, and they are far from lazy.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I soooo totally agree with you but have NO answers!  Actually my daughter is 15 and WANTS to get a job, but no one can hire that young!  She can baby sit, but since that's the only thing any kid under 16-17 can do, the "market" is over saturated with teen babysitters, so she can't even find a job babysitting.  Im soo broke, my daughter knows that she wont be getting a car, cuz we cant afford a car, much less insurance for her to drive it.  I watch my nieces & nephew and they can't & won't do anything for themselves and, sad to say, but i can't stand them, cuz my sister spoils them!

irishlass569
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I think we over endulge our kids these days (myself speaking).  Took me a while to get it but I pulled back about 2 years ago and now she gets little more than the necessities.  I have to say because of it my daughter absolutely hates me.  I'm a single mother but I still managed to take her on carribean vacations, horseback riding lessons, etc... but I lost my home recently so the money isn't there.  Well, I now feel like her love and affection was contingent on what I could do for her.  My daughter will be 16 in about 5 weeks.  She's been told that she must get a job if she wants to have a cell phone (which has been recently been cut off due to failing 7 out of 8 classes and repeatedly telling me things like I hope you die). 

I think we fight the media on a lot.  Shows like 16 and pregnant and the Miley Cirus's  of the world get our kids out of focus.  Its hard to be corney mom on a budget talking sense to your kid when she's got all that to look at.

I wish you luck hun.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM
5 moms liked this

Because we, society, has been blowing smoke up their kiesters for their entire lives that they are sooooo special.  Their job is doing well in school.  They can't walk themselves 3 blocks and need a ride because it is too dangerous out there and that they really are not capable of crossing a street without adult supervision.   You have to just try your best, and that is sufficient.  You don't have to figure out how to reach out and get help, have some self disaplin to get yourself someplace on time and ready to work.  They have been told that they are entitled to an education, but have no repsonsiblity to do well.  It is the teachers' , school system's, adminstrator's and anyone else but cute, little pookie. 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Let me amend that my kids are honor students, dd is going to college on a scholarship for most of her tuition.  My kids worked, usually smaller things, babysitting, mowing lawns, house sitting, etc.,..things that can work around sports, band, scouts, and school schedules.  Dd paid her own way to trips, has a two jobs on campus and involved in sports and clubs in college.  Ds is paying his own way this summer to a high adventure trip, he is 15.  But, they seem to be the exception.  I will say that many of the people who have a lot of money, their kids do work, the parents know what a valuable experience it is to be that responsable. 

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

I'd say because education is more important than ever.

I'm 57, had my first "job" at 12 walking dogs.  Graduated at 13 to correcting papers for my blind 6th grade teacher.  Worked a brief stint as a waitress at 15, then went to fast food at 16.

It's not so easy now.  Stores and fast food don't want to hire anyone under 18 for osha laws, and because they are now unable to work late.  Not a lot for teens to do really.  And many parents ARE more affuent than their parents are, so they buy their kids stuff - a lot of stuff early on.  A car and such is the next progression.

We bought cars for our kids to drive (technically a mid size pickup).  One boy and 3 girls.  It wasn't their truck legally, and they knew it.  We expected them to work hard through high school, do extracurriculars and do them well (because colleges are harder to get into now).  They did, and they are far from lazy.

EXACTLY !!!....3 boys and one girl though lol.My husband and I were given all of these things also and we don't feel or live entitled.It is about being taught appreciation when others do for you.

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM
We bought cars for our oldest 2(youngest 5 are a long way away from cars and teenage years thank God lol). My parents bought me a car as well. My kids knew they were going to have to pay for the insurance and gas and they did. My daughter works for a local after school program, she babysits, and helps out on the weekends at a riding school(horses). She's great with money and has a very nice savings. My son is 21, married with 2 kids, almost done with his degree, has a good job, and they are buying their own home. I think it's how you go about it.
Khanfan
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Teens have always been this way.  I wish I could remember what the philosopher Plato said about them.

I'm guessing you aren't speaking of your own kid.  We always had our kids buy their own fun stuff.  If they wanted 90 dollar shoes they had to pay $50 of that, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)