Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice needed please!!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi I have a 16 year old son and found out he smokes marijuana.He has depression adhd-odd.I don't think thats an excuse to smoke.I have sat him down and told him I dont allow drugs in my home and I dont approve of you doing them.I have him in counseling and also he takes meds.I hate that my son is taking this road and I'm afraid it wil only get worse trying different drugs.What would your advice be?Thanks

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SonjaCo
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Sounds like your son is self medicating. Talk to his Dr about his drug use. I'm not implying that he is addicted to it, but he may need to be in a treatment center until they get his meds regulated and his emotions under control. So far (knock on wood) I haven't ran into this issue with any of my teens, but if I did I would ground them and talk to their Dr.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I would probably take away privileges (phone, video games, time with friends) until the behavior stops.

feistymom2
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:34 PM

There are far worse things than marijuana. You would be surprised at the medicinal factors it offers. I am not condoning the use of marijuana for a teen but I do feel people should educate themselves more on it before jumping to such harsh conclusions. I have friends that are medicinal growers in Colorado, I am most certainly an advocate for the legalization of marijuana. I feel it offers so much more than what people want to give it credit for. Please research before you go off on your son! Drinking is FAR more dangerous than smoking a little pot.

feistymom2
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Artificial, synthetic drugs verses something natural?! Why not try to figure out what he is depressed about first. You don't solve drug addictions with more drugs!!

Quoting SonjaCo:

Sounds like your son is self medicating. Talk to his Dr about his drug use. I'm not implying that he is addicted to it, but he may need to be in a treatment center until they get his meds regulated and his emotions under control. So far (knock on wood) I haven't ran into this issue with any of my teens, but if I did I would ground them and talk to their Dr.

SonjaCo
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Is marijuana legal in the state where this kids lives? If so has his Dr prescribed it for him to use as treatment? If his mom answers no to both questions, then her son is breaking the law. Chances are he is self medicating. I use (when I use) for stress relief of my PTSD symptoms, so I know better than most its benefits. However this is a child that could face jail time if caught with it in his possession. I say talk to his Dr because he has been diagnosed with a couple or more different issues. Those issues could be driving him to seek relief that he isn't getting from his meds. That is all.

Quoting feistymom2:

Artificial, synthetic drugs verses something natural?! Why not try to figure out what he is depressed about first. You don't solve drug addictions with more drugs!!

Quoting SonjaCo:

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you are on the right path.

feistymom2
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Legallity is absolutely an issue, so is putting your family at risk for criminal charges. I am not condoning its use for a teen at all. I too have medical issues that require cbd, so i would say i know a little as well.

Quoting SonjaCo:

Is marijuana legal in the state where this kids lives? If so has his Dr prescribed it for him to use as treatment? If his mom answers no to both questions, then her son is breaking the law. Chances are he is self medicating. I use (when I use) for stress relief of my PTSD symptoms, so I know better than most its benefits. However this is a child that could face jail time if caught with it in his possession. I say talk to his Dr because he has been diagnosed with a couple or more different issues. Those issues could be driving him to seek relief that he isn't getting from his meds. That is all.

Quoting feistymom2:

Quoting SonjaCo:

SonjaCo
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:09 PM

If one of my children started smoking pot, I'd be looking to protect them from criminal charges and trying to resolve underlying issues. I think it's best to ground him (no phone use and no leaving the house unless its absolutely necessary). I'd follow up with his doctor, because this kid is looking for relief.

momto97
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Thanks for all of your replies.I think he might be self med himself too.I trid and sit down and talk to him and he just sits there.I know there are more dandereous drugs out thcome and get him.ere but I dont want my son goingdown that road.It makes me feel I downsomthing wrong as a mother for him to do this. I did punish him took away cell phone and he called his dad and he came and got him.I just feel I'm in no win situation if his dad will come and get him when I punish him.Then on the other hand you normally could get his dad to come and get him.He does not normally come and get him or brng him back home after his visit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)