Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Yay or Nay Cutting my kids off for their own good!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

I had a light bulb moment... If employers have access to our online reputations via such means as facebook, instagram, google, etc. are we not risking our children's futures by allowing them access to these sights? I'm one of "those parents", that despite my reservations, allowed mine (14,13 &12) to have their own fb pages and such... For now I have cut them off... Thinking its just to risky and not worth it. Yay or Nay?

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Nay, at those ages monitor them. Internet and facebook ar here to stay. What is the risk if you monitor?? As long as they are not nude, employers are not gonna care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Nay, my 14 year old has a FB, I monitor it.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Not for me. I believe in teaching self-regulation.

We also live in a world where social media can be an positive for employment too. We scope out applicants online, working in a design-based profession it's great when people have pictures of their artworks or such online. We tend to lean towards those we can get a bit of background info on, even small things like if they seem to have lots of positive interactions with people online, then we like them before they even come into the interview. We tend to avoid people who have no online footprint because a lot fo our business is done online, it makes you look like you have no idea how to do the things we are going to need you to do.

Use it wisely and you can use it to your advantage.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Quoting cybcm:

We also live in a world where social media can be an positive for employment too. We scope out applicants online, working in a design-based profession it's great when people have pictures of their artworks or such online. We tend to lean towards those we can get a bit of background info on, even small things like if they seem to have lots of positive interactions with people online, then we like them before they even come into the interview. We tend to avoid people who have no online footprint because a lot fo our business is done online, it makes you look like you have no idea how to do the things we are going to need you to do.

This.

And many employers check facebook and instagram first - to see IF they have a page.  If not, they think they're hiding something.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Nay.   Teach them to not share anything on social websites that they would not want their future Boss to know.  

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting cybcm:

This.

And many employers check facebook and instagram first - to see IF they have a page.  If not, they think they're hiding something.

yes

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

here also

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Nay.   Teach them to not share anything on social websites that they would not want their future Boss to know.  

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 1, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Seeing how my kids' pages are private and they have no inappropriate pictures as their profile picture, no I would not cut them off.  I also monitor them so I know nothing online is going to be inappropriate either.

coloradocakegal
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:22 PM

My kids (19,17,14,13) are on other social media sites.  Snapchat, Tumblr, etc... facebook (they say) is for old people.  

You taking away fb is most likely not a huge deal for them.  I think it's more important that they are aware of what can be seen by all.  Try sitting down and googling them.  Or google yourself and show them all of the stuff that is just floating out there.  

Khanfan
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I had to too.  My youngest is 13.  She was warned repeatedly about how to use facebook.  She would not restrain herself and broke the rules. 

The computer is in the living room, next to the tv, across from the couch.  She wouldn't stay on track.  We took it away, we gave it back.  Now she doesn't touch the computer unless it's for school.

I found her instagram page which scared me to death.  My oldest probably would have been a differnt story, but thank God I didn't have to deal with that with him.  He's 26 and we just missed fb there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)