Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Random Question *off the grid*

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:32 AM
  • 18 Replies

Do you think you could live off the grid? Why or why not?

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Probably not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

doubtful ,I have always live in a city except for college and grad school.Then it was a large town.I have a veggie garden but it in no way supplies all of our veggies for even all summer.Tomatoes ,herbs and green beans yes for the summer but that is it so it would be very tough.

LOL my husband is an engineer so he loves to "repair" simple things....now he looks up everything via internet and YouTube ...if we were off the grid there wouldn't be any internet for him .So doubtful for us.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM

No, I am a fan of where technology has taken us.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM

No.   I am too spoiled by civilization, lol.   

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM

nope

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM

No, I have a black thumb and could never slaughter an animal for food.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Off the grid is my dream but from the other posts I think off the grid is different in other peoples eyes. I look at off the grid as in you don't need any power lines to your home to survive, you grow your own garden and raise you own chickens. I do some of the above but I am still in the middle of our large town. We have chickens. We are planing on going solar this spring. We do not have cable but we do have 68 channels with just an antenne. I also can veggies and make my own jelly and jams. I don't want to have to milk my own cow so for now I will stick to going to the store for those items. I do however want to try making my own yogurt. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM

If I had time to prepare, yes absolutely and quite comfortably.  By off the grid I assume you mean without power and without grocery stores and stuff like that?  We can hunt, I garden, also make and wear many clothes, such like that.  The only thing I would have to do is convert my fireplace into a wood burning fireplace and find a clean water source or build a well. 

laura-l-hutton
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. The greatest achievements mankind has ever made are running water and electricity. Sure take all of the techno gadgets and I would cry for a bit but take my running water or lights and I would just die! I am dead in an appocolypse lol.

Ewa101
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I love tv, movies, museums, concerts (classical music and pop).  However, living off the grid has also some appeal, just as you described.  How do I live off the grid?  I use clothes line to dry my clothes, grow tomatoes and herbs.   Does this qualify?

Quoting Jessiejack:

Off the grid is my dream but from the other posts I think off the grid is different in other peoples eyes. I look at off the grid as in you don't need any power lines to your home to survive, you grow your own garden and raise you own chickens. I do some of the above but I am still in the middle of our large town. We have chickens. We are planing on going solar this spring. We do not have cable but we do have 68 channels with just an antenne. I also can veggies and make my own jelly and jams. I don't want to have to milk my own cow so for now I will stick to going to the store for those items. I do however want to try making my own yogurt. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)