Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

college dorm life

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

My freshmen dau had 2 roommates that share a bthroom with 3 other roommates. One mate never showed up was glad only 2 in room other 3 in other room loud dirty got 2 violations so this year dau other room mate just moved out yesterday  could not take other girls behavior.

Now my dau has whole dorm to herself thats the good part but lonely and thinking of next year tranfering to local campus to commute. Any advise i want her to stay next yr she will get all new roommates. 

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:12 AM
My dd had a roomate freshman year who never talked to her or anyone. My dd made tons of friends and now has 3 roomates she chose sophomore year. Doesn't your dd have other friends in the dorm??? My dd is shy but still makes friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:41 AM

My older daughter had roommates with some issues.  One was a rich prep school kid (at NYU), who was rarely there.  The other was so homesick that she cried on the phone to her mother for an hour or so a day.  Next year - she got new ones, some of those are still friends.

My middle daughter had it easier - had a pretty good roommate.

My youngest is in her first year.  Her roommate is a recovering anorexic.  Has spent time in a mental hospital.  Does all sorts of bizarre things (insists that mirrors be covered at all times, cooks huge amounts of food and throws it out,  refuses to open blinds).  At this point the girl has dropped out, but is still "living" in the dorm but rarely there.  My daughter told me at Christmas she just wants a roommate next year that has not spent time in a mental hospital.

Carmen66
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM

my daughter has had the same roommate for 2 yrs now and im glad she is neat and clean like my daughter. Can she ask to have another roommate?

butzi
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was in a "women in science" learning community... Really smart young women who are going to need to study--engineers, biochemists, chemists,...her roommate freshman year stayed in bed all day and watched Disney movies, until she decided engineering might not be her thing and went home. For the rest of the year she had a private room. Sophomore year her roommate got snot slinging drunk so frequently that she could not fit pre pharmacy studies into her schedule. She was also gone at the semester and daughter gets private room. Then she got her own apartment because she really liked living alone, she discovered.
jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM

What about off campus living? may be cheaper than the dorms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)