Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to help my daughter with her first gyn appt.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM
  • 14 Replies
My ddis almost 15 and I will soon be taking her to the gyn. She had been having very bad cramps and very (she skipped 5 months before) irregular periods. I am worried because ovarian cyst run in out family.well back to the point I will be taking her the 11th for a checkup and she is really scared I have tried talking to her but it is not helping. Any advice? Any experiences similar with you dd or with yourselfs? Any advice will be golden thanks.
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tcsfan
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry for any typos I'm still getting use to the tiny letters on my new iphone.
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Just something we have to do. Our gyn doesn't do exams till 21 even if you get bc. DD 22 hates it but deals. Told mine wait till you have kids. You won't even care. Modesty goes out the window.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tcsfan
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Our local gyn center accualy has gyn's for teens so her gp actually told me at her last physical (4 months ago) to make her a appt. to astablish a good relation ship he told me that they normally don't do pelvic exam but they probably will bc of her irregular periods, bad cramps and cyst running on the family.
JodyLane555
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Mine had irregular periods for the first few years and bad PMDD. I took her to our family dr, she prescribed a low dose birth control, my dd is a virgin. They have changed the rx once and she is doing better, regular periods, not as much depression or pain. I would talk to your fam. dr first. I dont really think a girl should have a real gyn exam unless they have or are planning on having sex.

Tcsfan
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Out gp acctualy refered me to the gyn because of the chance she might have a cyct
Tcsfan
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:19 PM
*our
suesues
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM

hope its a female that would help 

Momofmenagerie
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:15 AM
She need to have a visual of what the will be using and what they are feeling for when they are manually feeling for.

They should talk her through that anyway.

She should concentrate on her breathing in order to try and keep her pelvic muscles relaxed. I will move arms, head , open and close my eyes, anything to NOT tense up where it counts.

Bring a pain reliever as she may experience cramping afterward from the exam itself.

Um , I'd also schedule as late in the day as possible. I have horrible anxiety before, during, and after. I can not return to work after one.
I wouldn't be able to send my DD to school after her first one.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I had my first gyno exam when I was 15. I had (still have) irregular and very heavy bleeding. At that time the doctor put me on a lo dose bcp to regulate the cycle and decrease the flow. It worked.

I wasn't worried about the exam, I just wanted a woman doctor so my mom made sure to schedule me with a female gyno.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I took my daughter last year, shortly after she turned 16. I asked her if she wanted me to stay and she said IDK, but I could see she looked very scared so I just held her hand during the whole thing.  Afterwards she said she was glad I stayed with her.  I just tried to make her feel as comfortable and safe as possible.  I also took her to a female doctor recommended by our pediatrician; she was young and friendly and put my daughter at ease right away.  I think the appoinment would have been a lot harder had I taken her to a male.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)