Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2/5 Random Question *School make up days*

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:44 AM
  • 23 Replies

Due to the weather, how many school make up days do your children/teens have to make up this year?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momoftwinkies
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:48 AM
So far just today. The school corporation is telling us that we don't have to make up the snow days that were not built in.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM
Today is the first snow day we have to make up. We used up our built in snow days.
doomsie
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM
I am in florida. So this isnt really affecting us like how those with snow closure days. But when we had hurricanes and other severe weather, which was rare, we had to make up x amount of days during the summer when i was in school. But with my kids, we have hurricane make up days now. If we had no hurricanes, they got that day off. We have had very mellow years the past few years. I feel so bad for people during winter times and severe winter storms. I doubt i could live in a place with snow. Never seen it, never want to. I hate the cold weather.
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM
They had 4 off. 3 were built in. Other one they say will tack on a couple hours to each of the 3 finals days. These were all cold days. No snow days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM

They should have to make up 3 so far but on the news they said the state allows "act of God" days so they don't have to make them up. I will not be happy if they don't make up the extra days. I feel like they're getting cheated out of their education. They're supposed to get 180 days of school, I don't understand how the state can justify saying oh never mind, this year you get 177.

Mommy2Boys0900
by Donnie's Mom on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM
So far, my oldest son's school had 3 snow days and they adjusted the school calendar to make those
days up. Any additional snow days, they will either extend the school year or take days from their Easter recess
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:06 AM

We are good so far.

hockeymomtoo
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:13 AM

My son's school has had 7 days so far this year and they only build in 5 calamity days per year. There has been talk from the governor about allowing extra days this year due to the bad winter. I don't agree with that. If he's going to allow extra calamity days whenever the winter is bad then why have them at all. Just give them as much as they need.  I think they should have to make up those extra two days they've used (so far). If they have to extend the year, or shorten spring break then so be it. If they're supposed to go to school 180 days then that's what they have to do!

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:41 AM

We are not sure yet..

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM

So far just one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)