Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen Who Drove Over 2 Little Girls in Leaf Pile Should Be Deported

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

Teen Who Drove Over 2 Little Girls in Leaf Pile Should Be Deported

by Lisa Fogarty

Cinthya Garcia-Cisneros is a 19-year-old woman from Oregon whose entire world may be turned upside down because of a horrible accident she caused and then a bad judgment call on her part. While driving her SUV in October, she pummeled through a huge leaf pile and accidentally struck and killed stepsisters Anna Dieter-Eckerdt, who was 6, and 11-year-old Abigail Robinson. The girls were playing at the time and were totally concealed by the foliage, according to reports. The incident was said to be an accident, but what happened next wasn't -- and it's the entire reason why Cinthya deserves to be deported back to Mexico.

According to prosecutors, Cinthya's brother returned to the scene of the crime moments later and learned the two children had been badly injured. He then went home and told his sister she may have hit the girls with her car. Instead of calling police, Cinthya chose to do nothing. Granted, I'm sure she was in a state of shock and denial -- who wouldn't be? But that isn't an excuse to not come forward and help police -- help a grieving family -- by confessing what you've done. Police arrested Cinthya the next day at her home.

The teen, who was brought to the United States at age 4, has temporary permission to remain here under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program. BUT the program outlines specific rules that must be adhered to -- and one of them is that anyone convicted of a felony offense and some other crimes is not eligible for protection. Cinthya was found guilty in court of two counts of felony hit-and-run and was sentenced to three years of probation and 250 hours of community service. But rules are rules and that punishment does not sound fair. The teen is currently awaiting a bond hearing before an immigration judge. 

I rarely choose to get involved in heated discussions about immigration because I can often see both sides of the debate. But in this case -- in the case where two young children lost their lives because of a teen's negligence and then unwillingness to accept responsibility -- I feel deportation is a just and deserved consequence, as well as one that respects the current eligibility requirements stated in DACA.

What do you think?

Should this teen be deported or kept in the U.S. since this was clearly an accident?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommymonkey
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM

She was convicted? Then she violates the terms of the program that gave her permission to be in the country and should be deported.

Given the nature of the crime, I think she should be given a choice- deportation, or 24 hours chained defenseless while the victims family members beat her senseless.

amylulu1
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I personally don't think she should be deported.  It was a horrible accident and I think that she should pay the normal consequences for not coming forward when she found out what had happened.  I think it is far different than knowing she hit them at the time and then fleeing the scene- if that were the case I would feel differently.  She probably would not have been charged with anything had she gone to the scene as soon as her brother brought it to her attention! I hope that she doesn't get deported.  I feel for her and the kids' families as well.  

feistymom2
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I am in tears reading the entire story. I feel if the parents of the victims are able to see what a good young lady she is and that it was a horrible mistake that terrified her beyond anything else, leaving her scared and confused and causing poor decision making. If they forgive her who are we to judge? Everyone makes mistakes, some have horrible consequences but it doesn't make the person who made the mistake horrible. If they learn from that mistake and do something great with what they've learn what better tribute to such a sad tragedy. Deported this young lady does nothing but rip more families apart. 

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM

This happened right down the street from me.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Everyone illegal should be deported to me. Come here legally like everyone used to. Go through the channels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandy575
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Have you been following this case?

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Her butt should be deported back to Mexico and she should never be allowed back over the border.  I can't see why she isn't doing jail time...

SCADMom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Not to sound harsh but the rules are there for a reason...even with it being an accident she CHOOSE not to call the police which yes I understand the shock  and denial thing but she still killed 2 innocent people. She was convicted and part of the rules of being in this country means if you were convicted than you go back to your home country. She broke the laws...sorry if you break the laws and are convicted of a felony I don't care who you are you need to be booted. No other country would allow this to fly...

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I agree.

Quoting SCADMom:

Not to sound harsh but the rules are there for a reason...even with it being an accident she CHOOSE not to call the police which yes I understand the shock  and denial thing but she still killed 2 innocent people. She was convicted and part of the rules of being in this country means if you were convicted than you go back to your home country. She broke the laws...sorry if you break the laws and are convicted of a felony I don't care who you are you need to be booted.

perrick86
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM

YES

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN