Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should i have him drop the class

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:31 AM
  • 26 Replies

my son is a sophomore in hs.  He had to take a foreign language at least 1 year to graduate. He passed italian 1 and 2 (they number by sememster) by the skin of his pants. his teacher only passed him both semesters freshman year because she saw that he was trying really hard and he needed 1 year. Italian 3 however diff teacher and she failed him. the schools response to that was to put him in italian 4.  He went to his guidance counslor who told him he couldnt drop the class on his own. I'll have to contact the AP of the foreign language dept.   He's never going to pass 4.  He couldnt pass 3 so 4 is just that much harder. For an advaced diploma he needs to take a regents after italian 6.  Passing that test is a very slim chance. he was never going to attempt the advanced regents diploma.  Should i push for them to put him back in Italian 3 and hope that its easier for him or push for them to drop the class and replace it with something else.

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:12 AM

I would ask that he be dropped from Italian 4.  It seems odd to advance him when he failed the pre-requisite class.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:14 AM

If he isn't interested in the advance dipolma then I would have them drop the class.

Pnukey
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Drop the class, but also, please acknowledge that the teacher didn't fail him. He failed the class.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM

I would definitely ask that they drop him from the class. Why did they even put him in Italian 4 when he failed Italian 3?

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:40 AM
I would drop and would never put him in another class. We don't need it. My oldest got a C and D in Spanish 1. Never had her do anymore.
My dd who was good in Spanish got C's in Spanish 3 and never took any more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Drop the class and replace it with something different.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Ds1, freshman, is going to have to retake Spanish 2 next yr. (He was placed in Spanish 2 b/c he had 2 yrs of Spanish in middle school) He failed last semester. The school's policy is to not allow them to take the class 2nd semester if they fail 1st semester; we did not know this until ds1 said we needed to contact his guidance counselor about it. We requested he stay in the class so he has some exposure to the rest of the material so he hopefully will have an easier time of it next yr.

If your ds is going to have to repeat 3 and 4 next yr, I don't see the harm in exposing him to the material now. Just let him know all he has to do is try his best, and he should hopefully be more comfortable w/ the material next yr.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Quoting Pnukey:

Drop the class, but also, please acknowledge that the teacher didn't fail him. He failed the class.

I just meant she failed him as opposed to just pushing him forward. Even tho the school pushed him forward anyway.  He should of failed Italian 1 and 2 but the teacher chose to pass him anyway. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

If he's already taken enough to graduate and is failing now I wouldn't make him take more.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

He has finished the requirement for graduation   He only needs one year of a foreign language. If he drops the class he wont have to take it again.   He was suppose to be given spanish freshman year as thats what he had in middle school.  But now that he's already recieved credits for italian he cant take spanish and have it count.

Quoting wakymom:

Ds1, freshman, is going to have to retake Spanish 2 next yr. (He was placed in Spanish 2 b/c he had 2 yrs of Spanish in middle school) He failed last semester. The school's policy is to not allow them to take the class 2nd semester if they fail 1st semester; we did not know this until ds1 said we needed to contact his guidance counselor about it. We requested he stay in the class so he has some exposure to the rest of the material so he hopefully will have an easier time of it next yr.

If your ds is going to have to repeat 3 and 4 next yr, I don't see the harm in exposing him to the material now. Just let him know all he has to do is try his best, and he should hopefully be more comfortable w/ the material next yr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)