Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Parents Should Be Held Accountable for Their Teens' Out-of-Control Parties

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

Parents Should Be Held Accountable for Their Teens' Out-of-Control Parties

by Jenny Erikson

It’s a tale as old as teenagers left unsupervised -- when mom and dad are away, it’s time to play. For a lot of teens, that means experimenting with alcohol, drugs, sex, and basically all the naughty things that they’re not supposed to do. I’m going to channel my own mother here and say nothing good happens when you mix raucous, unsupervised teens and alcohol.

That’s why lawmakers in Australia are debating legislation that would hold party organizers and/or parents responsible for wild teen parties that get completely out of hand. Apparently it’s become such a problem there with broken glass in the streets and partiers fighting, throwing things at others, and damaging property that the penalties for such shenanigans could be fines up to $18,150 and three years in prison.

Well that might get people on board to quell out-of-control parties.

Some critics have expressed concern over what happens if their parties get hijacked, but Police Minister Jack Dempsey says that there are provisions to take into account “reasonable attempts” to keep parties safe and under control. In other words, if a bunch of thugs show up and force their way in, you might want to call the cops right away rather than passing them some cheap keg beer and a bong.

I think this is absolutely responsible. It seems like so many people have no idea what it means to be held accountable these days, and there’s such a lack of respect for other people and their property. I’m glad that someone is telling parents that they’re not off the hook for their teens’ bad behavior.

Every case is different, and I hope that common sense prevails when law enforcement gets involved in these cases, but parents that willfully ignore or even permit or enable out-of-control parties should be held responsible. After all, someone has to teach these kids about personal responsibility and that actions have consequences.

Do you think parents should be held responsible for their teens’ wild parties?

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM
I swear one day you will see a news report about Australia chopping off Queensland and letting it float away.
sisteroffaith
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:39 PM

To a certain degree, yes! 

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:17 PM
It's not just Queensland though. It's everywhere that has it's problems. And besides, Queensland is where the tourism is at, they won't chop us off. As for the actual question - as an Aussie I love this idea.

Quoting cybcm: I swear one day you will see a news report about Australia chopping off Queensland and letting it float away.
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Hey, Melbourne can hold their own in the tourism stakes after all we have... a big train station? Okay, we have nothing.
But the point is we blame Queensland for everything.

Quoting GleekingOut: It's not just Queensland though. It's everywhere that has it's problems. And besides, Queensland is where the tourism is at, they won't chop us off. As for the actual question - as an Aussie I love this idea.

Quoting cybcm: I swear one day you will see a news report about Australia chopping off Queensland and letting it float away.

Carmen66
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:48 AM

hELL YEAH!!! AS AN ADULT AND PARENT YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER. ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THINGS UNDER CONTROL AND NOT LET THESE KIDS GET AWAY WITH WILD BEHAVIOR.

PosinourHarmony
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:23 AM

If you can't trust your child or even have a 2nd thought then why you leaving them home alone for a long time for in the 1st place? I've left my twins home alone since they were 13 and I've never had a problem....we left them home alone for a whole week when me and their father went on our honeymoon and no issues at all. Even left them with their 2 younger siblings (by their own request) and no issues....I mean their are them cases where the parents think that they have nothing ta worry about and BAM something happens....so I mean to a point yes....but these kids know right from wrong and the consquences and the risk....in most cases it probably should be 50/50

KW123
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 3:50 AM

Some times the parents should be responsible. But the majority of the responsible should be on the teens.

I know of parents who have brought up charges against their own son & his friends. At the time, as a teen, I thought the parents were uncaring assholes. Now as a mother of two teens, I think they were responsible parents teaching their son & his friends a valuable lesson. Sometimes, the only way for a person learns is the hard way.

Some people seem to not know that they can have the adult/child that provide their child with alcohol/drugs arrested. (Or are simply lazy or cowardly to do so, which is the last thing a child need in a parent!)

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 17, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Yes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN