Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Best age for a first gynecological exam?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM
  • 19 Replies
My daughter is 14 (15 in September). What's the best age to take her to her first gynecological exam? She's not having any issues with her period. They're pretty normal and usually within 1-3 days of the day they're due. She gets mild cramps but nothing that Ibuprofen, a heating pad and hot bath doesn't help ease. She's not sexually active so I'm not sure if I should bring up birth control. Her only real issue is her MAJOR mood swings. She's crying and upset one minute, then happy go lucky the next. Is that a reason to ask about birth control? I know she's nervous and I want her first experience with a gynecologist to be as relaxing and easy as possible.
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Not until either 18 or they become sexually active seeing as her periods are healthy.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 13, 2014 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't take her unless there are issues or she becomes sexually active.

BethanyMel
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 7:51 AM

18 unless she has period issues or becomes sexually active. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Ours doesn't do one until you are 21. You can have the pill and be sexually active even way before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Agreed. 18 or sexually active. The mood swings just sound like a typical teenage girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Just rechecked your DD's age.... Definitely typical for her age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM
My daughter went in to get the pill at age 17 on the advice of her primary care doctor because of her periods. The GYN said unless she's sexually active, she doesn't need to start exams until she's 21.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wintermoon111
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM
LovingParent08
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Thank you ladies, I feel a little better now. I thought it was pretty normal for her to be really moody around the time her period is due and during but some days are just like MAJOR WHOA and I totally feel like I can't deal with her natter what! I had my first one at 18 also but was asking because girls now are SO much different then when I was her age development wise, maturity,etc. so I just wanted to get some other opinions. Thank you all again!
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM
OP doubt they will do an exam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)