Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Facebook, Mom hates/Dad says ok, compromise??

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM
  • 23 Replies

My son is 13 ADHD, sensitive, not always the best decision maker. Right there I think is enough reason to just say NO to facebook.

Dad doesn't agree, thats what kids do now.

I don't care! My son posted a stupid comment. He has had a boy threatening him, and a "friend" who is a girl saying how much she hopes the haters at school rip him apart.

Im about to say F#@! it and just turn off the whole internet!! But he needs it for school purposes.

Thoughts???

Im thinking compromise, he gives me the password, we block the negative people, or it goes bye bye.

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerBearsMom86
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM

What school purposes? Facebook isn't for kids imo. I would say no until 15. All this easy access to the world is just asking for too much trouble. I would keep passwords to everything as well. But my son is not at the age yet either. I am just stating what I think I would do.

Moeff
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM

They use ipads and to do some assignments and to check homework you need internet.

Moeff
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I hate facebook, the problem is Mom says no, Dad says yes. We don't agreee.

Lori942
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I think op means her son needs the internet for school.

Quoting JerBearsMom86:

What school purposes? Facebook isn't for kids imo. I would say no until 15. All this easy access to the world is just asking for too much trouble. I would keep passwords to everything as well. But my son is not at the age yet either. I am just stating what I think I would do.

KW123
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Quoting Moeff:...

Im thinking compromise, he gives me the password, we block the negative people, or it goes bye bye.

I agree.  I have both my teens' passwords.  I made them accounts when the oldest turned 13. (about 2 years old)  The 1st people I adding was family members.  After a month, I added their friends.  It has come in handy when have missed school.  On school nights, they can only be on for 30 minutes. On the weekend/holidays, we all have a 1 hour time limit. (We only have 1 laptop now & my time is running out.)

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I would trial it for a month with you having the password, monitoring it daily AND having all emails sent to yours. If he shows you he can do the right thing - then he can keep it, with the rule that if he stuffs up, it's gone. Sometimes you have to give them a chance to SHOW you they can do the right thing.

JerBearsMom86
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I understood that I was talking about the internet when I asked for what purposes. I just think that is something he can use at school. I just do not see internet as a necessary thing.

Quoting Lori942:

Quoting JerBearsMom86:

HeathersRich
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM
I also have a 13 year old ADHD son. I monitor it and have it severely blocked. He won't/can't add a friend unless I ok it. Most of who's on his fb is family and a few select friends that I know personally. If it's done correctly I don't think it's to horrible it gives them a little trust and a way to show they can be trust. It is the modern world, they'll have to deal with it at some point. Definitely block those being mean, it's uncalled for.
Debmomto2girls
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM

My dd's high school requires they get their homework assignments off the internet.  They cannot get it at school.  THey also have to do some assignments on the internet.  Again, it cannot be done in school.

Quoting JerBearsMom86:

I understood that I was talking about the internet when I asked for what purposes. I just think that is something he can use at school. I just do not see internet as a necessary thing.

Quoting Lori942:

Quoting JerBearsMom86:

Debmomto2girls
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I am friends with both my girls on Facebook.  Facebook isn't even that big around me anymore.  I never had their passwords and they never gave me a reason to doubt them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN