Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Pranks vs Vandalism

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was reading the stir post about the teenage girl who was shot while egging somones car as a prank on Halloween.

My question really isn't about that, but more about the actual prank or vandalism itself.

The author of the article called it a prank. I think it was more along the lines of vandalism. Egg will erode the paint on a vehicle causing monetary damage.

While I am not really sure of the definition of vandalism, I think that pranks that cause damage should be considered vandalism. When I think of a prank, I think of TP'ing a tree not eroding the paint off of someone's vehicle.

What do you think? Are pranks and vandalism one in the same? What would YOU consider a prank and what would you consider vandalism?

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM

i agree with you.  if something is going to cause damage then it is not a prank.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I thought the same thing when reading it, that was not a prank, that was vandalism.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM
I concur. If it causes damage it is vandalism.
surromama
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Agree, that should be considered vandalism.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM
I think T'ping is vandelism, plus. trespassing. I am not a fan of harmless pranks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM

My eldest has Aspergers Syndrome and therefore tried to play a variety of pranks that were NOT funny - only on DH, myself or the younger kids. I had to ban pranks simply because A) they were either way over the top or traumatizing for my younger kids, and B) she could dish it out but she couldn't take it. She learnt the hard way though how hard it was to clean up after a house/car being egged/TP'd and made the decision never to do it to someone else, so I've never had to "deal" with that conversation.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

This

Quoting sahlady:

i agree with you.  if something is going to cause damage then it is not a prank.

JessicaR7
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I agree; a prank that causes damage is vandelism, i.e. egging someone's car though I don't feel getting shot is the appropriate response to egging someone's car.  A prank that causes a mess is a prank.  Tresspassing, from a legal standpoint, is an unlawful injury to the person, property, or rights of another, with actual or implied force or violence, especially to enter onto another's land wrongfully.  TP'ing someone's front lawn is a prank as there is no unlawful injury or implied force/violence. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Egging vandalism can cause monetary damage. TP can be a pain in butt to clean up but does not cause damage so I would call it a prank
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovingParent08
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM
Any act that causes damage I consider vandalism.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)