Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do you think about graduating high school early?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM
  • 32 Replies

My dd's best friend who is not really enjoying the high school experience approached my dd about talking to the guidance counselor about working out the courses next year to graduate early.  the friend would have to overload up on classes to make it happen but my dd could do it pretty easily.  she'll be finished with most of her required classes this year in June.  My dd is enjoying high school. She is hoping to attend an ivy league university. All of her school decisions are decided on if it will help her with her college dreams.  she's only 15 if she graduates a year early she'll be 16 at graduation.  So what do you think?

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serabeth06
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM

As long as she can handle the courseload and get good grades, graduating early would probably look good on a college application. If you think she's mature enough to handle the courses and not get overwhelmed or slack off, and you're sure she's not doing it just to be like her friend but because she wants to, I say go for it.

Carmen66
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM

let her graduate on her right time, sometimes they need that extra time in high school.  She will be more mature for college and understand it more. The timing for her is right, my  daughter was a month shy from her 17th birthday when she graduated now she is 19 and in her 2nd yr of college.

Sister_Someone
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM

As long as the teen in question can handle the workload and is interested in that, I'm all for it. I'd have loved it if I'd had an opportunity like that in high school.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Quoting Serabeth06:

As long as she can handle the courseload and get good grades, graduating early would probably look good on a college application. If you think she's mature enough to handle the courses and not get overwhelmed or slack off, and you're sure she's not doing it just to be like her friend but because she wants to, I say go for it.

thats just it her schedule would not be all that bad. 

She would need a before school dance class.  during the regular day  take a global, english, another dance,acting and an elective   then in pm school take a global and an english.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Not something I would have wanted for my kids. HS is a very important time to grow and mature. Thats when they try and fail and hopefully learn. many many things. At 16 I would not have wanted my kids leaving home for college. The influences of living away from home at 16 NO thanks. At 16 in my state they cant even drive yet. Most college kids are 18/19 - 23/24 Not who I want my 16 yr old running with. Esp without me being in the picture.

Serabeth06
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Serabeth06:

thats just it her schedule would not be all that bad. 

She would need a before school dance class.  during the regular day  take a global, english, another dance,acting and an elective   then in pm school take a global and an english.

Then just look at her maturity and what she wants to do. If she really wants to graduate early so she can get started on college, and is willing to dedicate her time to her studies and getting good grades, then let her do it. If she's just doing it because her friend said they should, or lacks the maturity needed to take on college and the independent workload she'd have there, then have her graduate as normal. It's really up to you and what you think she can handle, mama.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I don't believe high school is all about academics. It's also a time to grow and mature, and you can't speed that up.

I would say this is less about the workload she can handle and more about, how would you feel sending her off to college, with young adults at 16?
Liastele
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I think its ideal and I wish I had gone that route. A lot of people believe that the high school experience is important for emotional growth, but getting a jump start on real life has its benefits. She could have her masters degree by the time her "peers" are finishing their bachelors degree.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM

this is where my head is on the subject.   Some of the schools she's looking at are over seas and with my luck thats one ot the schools she'd get into.  lol   right now it was just a suggestion stage.  I'm not even really sure its something she would want.  She actually enjoys High school and she would miss out on the things she's been looking foward to like Being a Senior.  she wouldnt be allowed to go to the senior prom or the senior trips. She was looking foward to the euro trip next year as a junior that she could not do if she's having to worry about pm school classes. But she's also very challenge driven.  She may want to do it just to prove she could.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Not something I would have wanted for my kids. HS is a very important time to grow and mature. Thats when they try and fail and hopefully learn. many many things. At 16 I would not have wanted my kids leaving home for college. The influences of living away from home at 16 NO thanks. At 16 in my state they cant even drive yet. Most college kids are 18/19 - 23/24 Not who I want my 16 yr old running with. Esp without me being in the picture.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM
If going to college you need 4 years of HS. Senior year is an awesome year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)