Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do you think of raising the legal smoking age?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM
  • 21 Replies

Colorado and Utah are looking to raise the legal smoking age to 21 and treat tobacco product like alcohol.

Would you suppport a bill like this? What do you think of raising the legal age limit on tobacco products?

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tcfla
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it would be fine, but.....a big but...It's not right to say "go fight for our country" and a military person can't have a cig or beer.  Just seems wrong.

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I think it's unnecessary.  Raising the age isn't going to cut down on those that smoke. 

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I don't like smoking but like another poster says it's probably not going to matter since kids still find a way to get cigarettes anyhow without being of age.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I don't think it would help. Yeah, I'm a bit cynical. Think about it, though. Kids and teens under 18 are already managing to get their hands on tobacco products. Either they will snag them from a parent/guardian, have someone else buy it for them, or both.

It's a nice idea, I just don't think that it will have much of an impact.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM

i would support the idea but dont think it would really help much.  i see so many young kids smoking. kids in my dd's junior high as young as 11 or 12 with cigs if not reg cigs then the electronic ones.

KawfeeKathy63
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 5:54 AM

I smoke and I know what a terrible habit it is but I still would not support changing the legal age.  And kids will get cigarettes if they want to regardless of the age to buy them.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 22, 2014 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I think it's unnecessary.  Raising the age isn't going to cut down on those that smoke. 

I agree with this. Sadly I don't think changing the age limit is going to deter teens from smoking.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Raising the age of things is a "let's appear to be doing something about an issue, but we're really not doing anything at all" kind of solution.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I really think there are more pressing issues in society than the smoking/drinking age - from what I understand they want to lower the risks of young people drinking and driving and smoking and driving - hence the major age gap in between the legal age to drive and the legal age to drink, but these kids have ways of getting what they want - instead of banning it and making it MORE forbidden/wanted - how about paying money to EDUCATE these children? Show them what it's like to be affected by someone drink driving; or have alcohol poisioning. Make them see they are not invincible.

KawfeeKathy63
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM

When I started smoking almost 40 years ago it wasn't a problem getting cigarettes however even if they had an age limit it wouldn't have stopped me, I would've gotten them somewhere. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN