Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you over compensate for what you CAN'T do for your kids?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:03 AM
  • 31 Replies

Because we live in an area where kids get pretty much what they want whenever they want, and I can not afford to do the same, I let my kids do what most parents won't allow i.e girlfriends spending the night or once in a while splurge on something outrageously ridiculous like an expensive dinner night or an expensive gift. Do you over compensate out of guilt?

by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Nothing really comes to mind to be honest. We do like to go out and eat, but that's more to do with it being something we enjoy rather than being overcompensating.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. No matter what I can and can't do for my kids financially I will not throw out my morals and values to "make up for it". I know my kids will remember the time I spent with them more than the "cool" things I let them do to make up for the fact that money wasn't around. I would NEVER let my kids have a boyfriend/girlfriend sleep over as a minor.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
In a way, I do.
I feel bad that my two teens have to go back and forth to their Dad's place for 3 days out of the week (every week) due to our divorce.
So, to compensate them for that, I allowed them to be at their Dad's every sunday afternoons, after I take them to church.
I am giving up one day of the week, every week, so they can spent extra time at Dad's.
So, in a way I do what you do out of guilt, too.

Quoting wearymoon:

Because we live in an area where kids get pretty much what they want whenever they want, and I can not afford to do the same, I let my kids do what most parents won't allow i.e girlfriends spending the night or once in a while splurge on something outrageously ridiculous like an expensive dinner night or an expensive gift. Do you over compensate out of guilt?

Pnukey
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

No. I don't have guilt.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM

no.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Quoting Pnukey:

No. I don't have guilt.

nuts4scouts
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM

No.

And please explain how encouraging your son to become a teen parent will assuage your guilt over not being able to spoil him enough?

aandt1999
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Nope, I don't.
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

No, we did the opposite.  We could buy our kids anything and everything but chose not to.  Didn't even buy them a game system until they were in HS.  Even poor kids seem to have game systems.  Ours didn't.  Told them to go to friends houses if they wanted to play them.  They lived fine. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Why would anyone allow girlfriends or boyfriends to spend the night if beyond me.  Just my opinion. 

My dd almost 23 has her boyfriend spend the night because he is out of town.  Even I don't really care for it but she is an adult.  As a teen, HELL NO. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)