Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen bedroom - how much control?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 35 Replies

How much control do you give your kid over what their room looks like?

I ndont just mean are they allowed posters on the wall but like can they paint it any colour and things like that?

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM

My girls have pepto pink and neon green.  I don't care.  I paid someone to paint them. 

JessicaR7
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I did let my kids pick their paint colors and my daughter does collages on her doors, inside her closet, along her walls.  I feel like it is all stuff that can be reversed.  My daughter's room is also a mess and a therapist once told me that was okay.  I'm not on her to clean her room all the time and yesterday she told me "I'm going upstairs to straighten up my room".  Those kind of comments are music to my ears.

8chickens
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Sure why not. It can always change back efter they move.

craftymom9840
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I gave mine a choice of colors I could live with, they picked out fabric for curtains, bedding, etc., any thing non permanent is their choice, but I do want them to keep the rooms tidy enough that I could find the bed in the middle of the night if there is an emergency ! ;)

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM

We've always lived in military houses so they don't get control over wall paint or things like that. They can choose their own bed sheets, themes, posters, etc though.

nana776
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I think they should be allowed to do anything they want in their room as long as it isn't permanent. My dd decided to do the whole throwing paint at the wall thing. I made her tape the paper up in the ceiling, floors and windows. It looks pretty cool. 

theresaphilly
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't care how they decorate it. One thing my parents told me, "do with it as you want , but at least try to keep it clean." My son has some crazy color on the wall and posters of athletes, I told him no naked women! 

PosinourHarmony
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 2:39 AM

As long as it's at least presentable....rock on....my boys change there rooms and the colors like every year....

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Yes my dd, 20y/o,  picked the color for her room.

It's sort of a dark aqua with white trim. She recently moved into her own apartment. My husband and I are planning to move into her room so that our boys can have their own rooms. I like the color so I'm not planning to re paint before we make the move.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

they have 100% control  minus painting it all black  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN