Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What's Your Mothering Style?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

I know from taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test that I am INFJ; however, there is a link in the article to take the test in case you have not had the opportunity.  I thought this was a neat way to look at our various mothering styles and hopefully we can appreciate other mom's styles as different to ours but not necessarily better.  Feel free to post your results in the comments.

http://www.parenting.com/article/parenting-style-quiz?page=0,0

The know-thyself mother (INFJ)

Sensitive and family-focused, the INFJ mother encourages the unique potential of each child. Her aim is to help her kids develop a sense of identity, and she seeks a free exchange of feelings and thoughts to that end. In fact, she may value the mothering experience as a catalyst to her own personal growth. She is conscientious and intense, as well. Probably no one takes child-raising more seriously than the INFJ. She approaches it as a profession requiring her best self. Stay-sane tip: Make time for yourself, try to live in the moment, and take life a little less seriously. Instead of trying to make life what it "should be," enjoy it for what it is.

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I am so me of all of them, ROFL. 

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I'm an INFP according to that, but I probably have a little of the other types mixed in there, too.

JessicaR7
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I see you as an ISTJ personality type:

http://www.16personalities.com/istj-personality

And this as your mothering style:

The super-responsible mother (ISTJ)
Whether she's overseeing daily baths or, years later, insisting on a 10 p.m. curfew, the ISTJ mom's efforts are largely focused on offering her kids order and routine. She wants them to be able to count on her and the structure she provides. She is organized and detail-oriented, and gives her children practical guidance on being productive, responsible individuals. Still, with all her seriousness, she may delight the family with her quick wit and observations on the details of life.
Stay-sane tip: The best gift an ISTJ mom can give herself is uninterrupted quiet time each day. Find someone who can take the baby to the park for an hour or two while you turn off the phone and savor the stillness.

Quoting atlmom2:

JessicaR7
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I think on the mothering type we can pick from several because it is a short synopsis but if you know your Myers-Briggs personality type that gives you a lengthy personality description.

Quoting wakymom:

I'm an INFP according to that, but I probably have a little of the other types mixed in there, too.

JessicaR7
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Here is a link if anyone is interested in learning more about their personality type:

http://www.16personalities.com/type-descriptions

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I did like structure but I am NOT organized or detail oriented at all, lol.  I do and did always get quiet time every day. 

Quoting JessicaR7:

I see you as an ISTJ personality type:

http://www.16personalities.com/istj-personality

And this as your mothering style:

The super-responsible mother (ISTJ)
Whether she's overseeing daily baths or, years later, insisting on a 10 p.m. curfew, the ISTJ mom's efforts are largely focused on offering her kids order and routine. She wants them to be able to count on her and the structure she provides. She is organized and detail-oriented, and gives her children practical guidance on being productive, responsible individuals. Still, with all her seriousness, she may delight the family with her quick wit and observations on the details of life.
Stay-sane tip: The best gift an ISTJ mom can give herself is uninterrupted quiet time each day. Find someone who can take the baby to the park for an hour or two while you turn off the phone and savor the stillness.

Quoting atlmom2:

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:29 PM

It's been quite a while since I've done that test, but those letters sound about right- I know the I and the P are.

Quoting JessicaR7:

I think on the mothering type we can pick from several because it is a short synopsis but if you know your Myers-Briggs personality type that gives you a lengthy personality description.

Quoting wakymom:

JessicaR7
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Well, if you are indeed an INFP...your personality type makes up 4.5% of the population. 
http://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality

And those traits are shared with:
Some famous INFPs:
Homer
Virgil
St. Mary
St. John
St. Luke
William Shakespeare
Donna Reed
Julia Roberts
J. F. Kennedy, Jr.
Lisa Kudrow

Quoting wakymom:

It's been quite a while since I've done that test, but those letters sound about right- I know the I and the P are.

Quoting JessicaR7:

Quoting wakymom:

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in some pretty good company : )

Quoting JessicaR7:

Well, if you are indeed an INFP...your personality type makes up 4.5% of the population. 
http://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality

And those traits are shared with:
Some famous INFPs:
Homer
Virgil
St. Mary
St. John
St. Luke
William Shakespeare
Donna Reed
Julia Roberts
J. F. Kennedy, Jr.
Lisa Kudrow

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting JessicaR7:

Quoting wakymom:

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM

The action-adventure mother (ESTP)
Active and spontaneous, the ESTP mother can turn ordinary life into a fun-filled adventure, making dull routines exciting. Full of energy and enthusiasm, the ESTP mom gives her children every opportunity to experience all that life has to offer.
The ESTP mother is also matter-of-fact  -- what you see is what you get. She parents without hidden agendas and accepts things as they are. Her children know where they stand, and she develops close relationships with them based on honesty.
Stay-sane tip: Stop comparing yourself to other moms  -- the ones who keep a smooth-running household, have dinner on the table at 6 p.m. each night, and do laundry on Mondays  -- and appreciate your spontaneity.

I've taken that personaity test a few times and always come up as ESTP, I do find the parenting description rather accurate, of course I see bits and pieces of myself in the other descriptions, but many of them do overlap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)