Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I'm going on strike!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

I'm fed up.  

The kids don't have many chores.  One chore is stripping the sheets off of their beds on Saturdays, putting on fresh sheets and cleaning their rooms.  The other is cleaning their room so that nothing is on the floor (so I can vacuum). 

This morning SS16 did as he was told right away but each time I checked SD's room it wasn't done.  This was getting me annoyed, but I tried to keep calm and decided I would just wash SS's sheets first, and hopefully by the time they were finished washing, SD would have hers done.  I came back into her room 45 minutes later and noticed she had thrown/stuffed her recently folded (by me) clean clothes into the bottom of her messy closet floor and clothes that I neatly hung and folded were scattered all over the place.  I asked her nicely to please hang the clothes back on the hanger and refold the clothes and put them away in her drawer.  She decided instead that she'd rather debate with me why she felt it was unecessary because she could easily find her clothes on the floor and they were going to get unfolded anyway. I engaged her for about 2 minutes when I realized, "what the heck am I doing?"  NO PROBLEM.  So I went into my room where I was painstakingly folding the kids socks, underwear, pants, tops, etc.  Separated out her stuff and brought them into her room and threw them on her floor for her to deal with. I told her that I still expected her to clean her room and get everything off the floor so I could vacuum.  I proceeded to vacuum SS's room and all the other rooms.  When I came back again to vacuum hers it still wasn't done, so I left the vacuum in her doorway and told her that when she was done cleaning her room, she could vacuum her rug.   

I know that was immature, but I deserve more respect.  I have a LOT of chores to do in this house and folding laundry takes time.  When I see my time has been wasted because of some bratty teenager, I don't really feel like wasting my time anymore.  There are alot of other people in this house who appreciate the the work that I do around here and I'm going to focus my time on those people.

by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Fair enough too. I'd tell her she's now responsible for her laundry/sheets/vaccuming and that if it isn't done by friday afternoon then she's grounded for the whole next week. My kids can choose not to clean their rooms, but they also choose not to do anything fun until their room is respectably clean. I educate them on insects/bugs and what happens if there's a fire and the firefighters need to rescue them - that if their room is full of shit, the firefighters have to investigate everything they run into/trip over to  make sure it's not a body.

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I don't blame you. I've been there and then I decided it was time for my kids to learn more responsibility. I stopped cleaning their rooms, doing anyone else's laundry, and cleaning up after others. My kids started doing their own laundry at ages 11 & 14. We have cleaning night, Wednesday, where everyone cleans the whole house and I inspect. I don't white glove anything but I make sure tubs and toilets are clean, floors swept and/ or vacuumed, and furniture is dusted. Everyone knows its cleaning night and no one gets on the net, video games, or watches tv until we're done. It takes about an hour or so for us to get it all done. When I did it all it would take half my Saturday. It took about two weeks of my being on strike and refusing to touch anything before everyone began to realize how much I did and how much what I did was necessary. Try it. It takes enormous self-control but it works.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I didn't clean my kids room when they were younger teens but then again if they lived in a shit pit I just closed the door. I had a no dirty dishes allowed in thier rooms becasue of bugs but I choose my hills to stand on and that wasn't one of them. The laundry issue is easy in my house A) laundry is anly done on off peak hours ie after 7pm at night  B) All laundry is hung outside during the warm months here thats normally mid April to mid Oct. So I do a couple of loads at night and hang in the am before leaving for work. C) Only full loads will be done.  All this being said I do all alundry BUT and a big BUT if it's not in the laundry then too damm bad it's not washed and you wait until I have a full load of whatever colour your wanting.  They only left stuff on thier floors a few times before they realized they needed what wasn't clean and was even dirtier as the cats and dog would sleep on the laundry they left on thier floors. 

I have gone on strike before and it made one very unhappy house when they realized how much mamma did as well as work fulltime. I stop going to the grocery store stopped cooking dinner stopped laundry stopped walking the dog and the taxi service stopped as well.  It didn't take long and they became much more cooropative when asked to do something.

suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM

My dau now home from college loves to try on clothes and then put them on floor (clean ones) dirty goes in hamper sorry I cant help you teens are messy close the door as lohg as no food issues 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Time for you to stop doing for her. Rule here was your room is clean top to bottom or you stay in over the weekend until it is done !

Linagma03
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:11 AM
From now on she should do all her own laundry. When she runs out of clean clothes and you haven't done it for her she may change part of the attitude but I wouldn't hold my breath. One of mine was like that I would tell everyone that I was doing laundry the next day and have their clothes in the laundry room she wouldn't. I gave her two warnings about having them out there or she could do it herself. She thought I was kidding she learned how to do laundry the hard way when she ran out of clean clothes and had to stay up late to wash clothes for school the next day. From that day on she was responsible for her own clothes, and her own room. I just shut the door on the mess as long as it didn't smell I didn't care and I didn't clean it up.
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 2:40 AM

She does her own laundry and cleaning from here on out. I wouldn't expect it to make her appreciate a darned thing; kids DON'T appreciate the things we do unless it involves giving blood, it seems. But it takes it off your plate. Just insist the room can be safely evacuated in case of fire and that there is never food in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN