Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Tattoo's

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM
  • 47 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you allow your Teen/Young adult to get a tattoo?

Options:

Yes

No

Only if both parents/guardians agree

Done Professionally - Yes

Done Professionally - No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

So, my dd who is now 20 (May 28th) has decided that she wants a Tattoo.  I personally don't have any.  She wanted to have it done at her "Boyfriends/Fiance" home.  Talked her into having it done professionally instead.  Thats not the the problem "Believe it or not :p".  

While we were at the tattoo shop, a mother brought her 14 yo son in and wanted to get him a "Lip Tattoo"!!!!

The shocker was the tattoo parlor said yes we will do it with mother's concent!  Personally I find this to be abuse.  I didn't get to see who it was or anything like that.  

So the question is:  What are your views on "Pre-teen/young adult" getting tattoo's even with parents concent?

Personally, I don't approve.  I think that if a pre-teen gets a tattoo, that it should be reported to CPS.  Just the fact the mother is allowing it and PAYING for it...makes it very wrong in my book.  MY dd had to wait 2 years after she legally turned an adult!  We would have had no say if she decided to do this at 17 or 18 BUT thankfully we have a great family that can talk about things like this and we explained what could go wrong and then we also discussed the beauty of some tattoo's.  The one she got was to show her support and love for her dog (and how we got him is another story).

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like tattoos but if my child are 18 or older and want one, I'm not going to stop them. They're adults at that point and in charge of their own bodies.

msickles
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Absolutly agree.  The child that was at the parlor was only 14.  I can't see a 14 yo being in charge of their own bodies...heck they are just coming into their own bodies lol ... But ya; at 18 or older they can make the decision on their own, all we can do as parents is try to guide them to the best possible outcome.  

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I don't like tattoos but if my child are 18 or older and want one, I'm not going to stop them. They're adults at that point and in charge of their own bodies.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, 14 is way too young but I don't think I'd go as far as calling it abuse unless it's done against the child's will.

Quoting msickles:

Absolutly agree.  The child that was at the parlor was only 14.  I can't see a 14 yo being in charge of their own bodies...heck they are just coming into their own bodies lol ... But ya; at 18 or older they can make the decision on their own, all we can do as parents is try to guide them to the best possible outcome.  

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Never under 18. DD 22 has 3. Dh really hates them. I don't like them. Dh flipped out when she got her 3rd. I mean went off the deep end. She swears no more, but she said she was one and done. I feel 20 somethings have no idea and many will regret it when they get to be 30 and 40. I would never consider a tattoo ever even if it wasn't visable to the public.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msickles
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Well, we were very apprehensive when DD came home and said she wanted a tattoo.  The person she wanted to have do it was "Training" to be a professional...which meant he whould be "Practicing" on her.  We ddin't know how clean this guy was or what kind of tools he had.  Didn't know the extent of his training.  So we told her that if she really wanted one; we would pay to have it done right the first time.  Went to a well known parlor and watched for a bit and liked what we saw.  The only concern was the day she was getting her tattoo, that mom came in with her 14 yo and asked about the lip tattoo...but I guess if the mom is saying yes....I wouldn't, but that's just me...

Quoting atlmom2: Never under 18. DD 22 has 3. Dh really hates them. I don't like them. Dh flipped out when she got her 3rd. I mean went off the deep end. She swears no more, but she said she was one and done. I feel 20 somethings have no idea and many will regret it when they get to be 30 and 40. I would never consider a tattoo ever even if it wasn't visable to the public.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

If my kids want tattoo's they need to be old enough to sign for themselves.  I will not sign a consent for my kids to get tattoo's or piercings.  Oh I was also 27 when I got my first tattoo.  I have a few more, but they aren't visable unless I want them to be.  They are on my lower back and shoulders, with a small one on my leg.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah a 20yr old is an adult, so they would be free to do what they want to do but I would have done what you have done and advised for them to get it done professionally.

Now my young teenagers know that is not going to happen but sadly a lot of parents are taking their teenagers to get tattoos, my daughter is 16 and says there are a few of her classmates that got tattoos (her reasoning for asking me can I take her to get one. I gave her a you crazy look, lol) and I don't agree with that either but I guess if it's parental consented so be for that household.

msickles
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

This was the tattoo my dd got on her left shoulder. (its about 3-4in in size)

Renilia
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

In alot of states that is illegal. I know here in NH where I live it's illegal and in all the states around us. I would never allow my children to get a tattoo under 18 ever weather or not it was legal, they are to young to decide something like a tattoo that they would have to live for the rest of their life.  

mommyofthezoo03
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as they don't live under my roof they are free to do as they choose. Under my roof  you can have 1 ear piercing and that is it for marking up the body.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN