Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Fafsa?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:24 AM
  • 19 Replies

Our daughter graduates in June and then its off to college.  We filled out the Fafsa form, and her EFC is 00000.  There is no way this can be correct.  I checked her figures and they seemed to be entered correctly, so I have no idea why our estimated family contribution would be 0.  I know our income is too high and I figured she wouldn't be able to get any help with tuition.  Totally confused by this.  Our oldest daughter attended college 8 years ago, and could get no help, and our income was MUCH lower back then.  She is excited at this propect, but I really do believe it is some kind of mistake.  Any suggestions?

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana776
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM

There have been some changes made in the income guidelines. I would call the school's financial aid office, they should know about this.

btamilee
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM

She is actually still waiting for acceptances for a few of the colleges she listed.  She has officially only been accepted to two of the four she applied for.   Would it seem odd to call and ask if she hasn't even been accepted yet?

Quoting nana776:

There have been some changes made in the income guidelines. I would call the school's financial aid office, they should know about this.

nana776
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

You could also call the fafsa help line at 1-800-4FEDAID.

Quoting btamilee:

She is actually still waiting for acceptances for a few of the colleges she listed.  She has officially only been accepted to two of the four she applied for.   Would it seem odd to call and ask if she hasn't even been accepted yet?

Quoting nana776:

mommyofthezoo03
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Wouldn't that be nice if it really is 0! Can you call one of the colleges she was accepted to and ask. You can always tell them that cost is a consideration so you are investigating it.

btamilee
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Well...I think I got to the bottom of it!  My daughter and I spent her Junior year living in one state while my husband moved to start a new job.  After spending that year with my daughter and I living in one state and hubby in another...we finally made the move to be with him.  VERY long story short...our daughter moved back to our former state to finish her Senior year of High School.  In order to do that...we had to go to court and turn guardianship of her over to a relative or the school would not allow her to remain a student.  We had no idea that changed her status from dependent to independent.  That is why her EFC is 0.  She is now considered an independent student.  Kind of weird ??

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I just went to an orientation at the college my son hopes to attend and this was discussed. Your efc determination has several factors. I know the guidelines have changed. Her grades are one factor. If shes doing well, it could be why. Its awesome that you have non efc. You should keep your determination paperwork for the financial aid office at the school she chooses to attend. Her level of grants and loans can change based on the school she chooses.

btamilee
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:01 AM

We did an orientation at a School of the Arts about four hours from where we live now.  She is also very interested in a school in LA.  I am blown away at the costs of both schools.  One is $41,000 a year and the other is $36,000.  How do they expect these kids to ever get out of debt when paying that much?

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

I just went to an orientation at the college my son hopes to attend and this was discussed. Your efc determination has several factors. I know the guidelines have changed. Her grades are one factor. If shes doing well, it could be why. Its awesome that you have non efc. You should keep your determination paperwork for the financial aid office at the school she chooses to attend. Her level of grants and loans can change based on the school she chooses.

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Tell me about it. I am lucky. My son is going into the military and will be attending a military college on a military scholarship. Otherwise, I don't know how he would ever pay off student loans. Still, your daughter has the ability to go to these schools and that speaks volumes about her. i am sure it will work out. I think you will not know your total pay out until she selects a school. Keep in mind that even if your efc is 0, she may still have fees and book costs that will be out of pocket. It is the small things that will kill your finances as much as the bigger costs. Good luck. If i find out anything else, I will share it.

Quoting btamilee:

We did an orientation at a School of the Arts about four hours from where we live now.  She is also very interested in a school in LA.  I am blown away at the costs of both schools.  One is $41,000 a year and the other is $36,000.  How do they expect these kids to ever get out of debt when paying that much?

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

chalisa0
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM

The fafsa itself really doesn't give you any information-it's more of a guideline.  It's the actual schools that will tell you how much they'll give you.  Each school is different.  When we sent dd off to college a few years ago, I was astounded at the differences between schools.  You just have to wait for the financial offers now-most schools are just getting started sending them out.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

True.  They are used for scholarship money.  We knew dd would get zero money but it has to be filled out just because of her academic scholarship that has nothing to do with how much money we make. 

Quoting chalisa0:

The fafsa itself really doesn't give you any information-it's more of a guideline.  It's the actual schools that will tell you how much they'll give you.  Each school is different.  When we sent dd off to college a few years ago, I was astounded at the differences between schools.  You just have to wait for the financial offers now-most schools are just getting started sending them out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN