Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Coming Soon: A New SAT

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

From the Washington Post:

SAT to drop essay requirement and return to top score of 1600 in redesign of admission test

The SAT college admission test will no longer require a timed essay, will dwell less on fancy vocabulary and will return to the familiar 1600-point scoring scale in a major overhaul intended to open doors to higher education for students who are now shut out.

The second redesign of the SAT this century, announced Wednesday, will take effect in early 2016, as today’s ninth graders are sitting for their college admission tests.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/sat-to-drop-essay-requirement-and-return-to-top-score-of-1600-in-redesign-of-admission-test/2014/03/05/2aa9eee4-a46a-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:40 PM
ACT has writing optional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I think that was part of the reason for the change. The ACT has been chipping away at the SAT's market share for a while now.

Essay writing is my son's weakest link, so we'd been talking about the ACT when the time comes. But the new SAT will be in use by the time he's ready to test.

Quoting atlmom2: ACT has writing optional.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:31 AM
My dd too both. WI is an ACT state really. My dd prefered the ACT. She hated the SAT and never sent those results to the colleges. She took the ACT 3 times, SAT once.

Quoting gdiamante:

I think that was part of the reason for the change. The ACT has been chipping away at the SAT's market share for a while now.

Essay writing is my son's weakest link, so we'd been talking about the ACT when the time comes. But the new SAT will be in use by the time he's ready to test.

Quoting atlmom2: ACT has writing optional.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:09 AM
I also saw they are taking away penalty for wrong answers. That really hurts many. ACT has no penalty for wrong answers. That is why my dd did better. ACT is a more well rounded test also with science also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN