Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Mixed couples in high school

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM
  • 33 Replies
I'm not sure how to approach the subject of interracial dating with my daughter who is 16. Any advice ?
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Where do you live where this would even be a subject you would have to approach???  It's common as can be even where I live in the south.   Is the problem you have an issue with her dating outside her race?  I am not sure what type of advice you are looking for.

babyof5
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM
We live in a small
Map dot town mostly white. Apparently girls that date black guys are branded for
Life. I don't have A problem with it when the two parties are mature but young ones have enough to figure out
babyof5
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM
"Branded"in a bad way
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

All I can think is how sad to have to exist in such a small minded town.  Ultimately she is under 18 and you do have a final say on who she does and does not date.  As far as a 16 yr old being to young to decide whether or not dating outside their race I find that a bit silly.  If you feel she is old enough to date at 16, I fail to see how she is too young to pick whom she decides to go out on a date with.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a 19 & 17 yr old and never had to "approach" the subject of interracial dating. What do you need to "approach"???

babyof5
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Thanks for the perspective. And I agree, it can be tough living in this small town :/:
babyof5
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Approach / handle because in this small town girls are treated rudely for liking the black boys and I just don't think she needs the additional stress. Some kids already put up an Instagram page "n word lovers" and put her picture on it just because she is friends with one guy
sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM
7 moms liked this

I think the racism in the town is what you need to "approach".  How evil, vile, and pervasive it seems to me in your dot of a town.  How your children should NEVER EVER fall into such a horrid mind set.  How they should stand up for equality, how they should judge people on their personalities and morals rather than their skin color.  You should let them know that if they EVER are rude to someone for dating out side their race then they will not "approach" a phone, tv, social gathering, or anything else until they can pull their head out of their --- and act like a moral and kind human being.

Quoting babyof5: We live in a small Map dot town mostly white. Apparently girls that date black guys are branded for Life. I don't have A problem with it when the two parties are mature but young ones have enough to figure out

The problem is not with your kids... you dont need to "approach" them.  The problem is where you live... the bigoted people are who need to be "approached" (for lack of a better phrase).

sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM
3 moms liked this

honestly ..... I would SERIOUSLY consider moving.  That is beyond vile and I couldnt imagine exposing my kids to that if I could at all avoid it.

Quoting babyof5: Approach / handle because in this small town girls are treated rudely for liking the black boys and I just don't think she needs the additional stress. Some kids already put up an Instagram page "n word lovers" and put her picture on it just because she is friends with one guy

babyof5
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM
It's really bad actually not just here but this is a small town community in a large county east of Dallas Texas. Other smaller suburbs around here have "hate" pages like "sluts" ugly girls etc. Have any of you seen the twitter accounts like high school confessions ? The things that are posted !

Quoting sahlady:

honestly ..... I would SERIOUSLY consider moving.  That is beyond vile and I couldnt imagine exposing my kids to that if I could at all avoid it.

Quoting babyof5: Approach / handle because in this small town girls are treated rudely for liking the black boys and I just don't think she needs the additional stress. Some kids already put up an Instagram page "n word lovers" and put her picture on it just because she is friends with one guy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN