Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

at what age?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

Would you buy your child an airline ticket half way across the country to stay with a family you have never met?

My 19 yr old (freshman in college) is having THREE girls come stay with us for part of spring break and only ONE family has called me to see if it is ok. Actually the two girls bought tickets and kind of invited themselves when they heard the first girl was coming.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carmen66
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM

no, i wouldn't even let my child go half across the country to stay with someone i dont know.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Your dd should have ask you.  It was up to her to be the go between.  I have never met my dd's boyfriends parents and they have dated 3 years.  Talked to the Mom for the first time this past week.  DD has stayed with them multiple times. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM

My daughter told the girls yeah you should come out sometime.... she told me that.  But they took that as an open invitation and bought the tickets.  They told her AFTER the tickets were bought.  The one girl was specifically asked over spring break and my daughter had already asked me if it was ok.  The mom called me and while on the phone together we coordinated the flights so the girls would be on the same flight.

There are two additional girls who got the same "yeah you should come out sometime" and they are coming this summer and have already started to ask about dates.  At least they are calling to confirm and not just flying out.  I havent spoken to their parents and may not... but they are checking in with us on the dates.

I guess Im just a bit put off by how rude I find it.

Quoting atlmom2:

Your dd should have ask you.  It was up to her to be the go between. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM
sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I guess your right..... Im just put off by how rude it is to buy a ticket with out making sure you are actually invited for those days.  Better to discuss and THEN buy.... than to buy and tell someone you are coming.

Quoting diaperstodating: 18

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM

That is rude, yes.  Unfortunately, in todays world, your dd's open invite and if they knew someone else was going was kind of how this all came to be.  My dd's would never book without making 100% sure it was ok.  Them, not me.  Over 18 I wouldn't call parents but my dd should know 100% it was ok from the other girl. 

Quoting sahlady:

I guess your right..... Im just put off by how rude it is to buy a ticket with out making sure you are actually invited for those days.  Better to discuss and THEN buy.... than to buy and tell someone you are coming.

Quoting diaperstodating: 18

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If they are over 18 they can do as they please. If I was close friends with the parents I might consider it for my 15 y/o. She has a close friend in WI that she stayed in touch with after we moved to AZ. I know her parents I would let her go.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Depends on how they know them.

Friend who has moved and I never really met their family, but I know they were a good friend, sure, 14+ish.

Random from the internet. I won't be buying that ticket.
alik1983
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I don't care how "old" my daughter was - I would never impose on another family like that without checking with the family first.  Frankly, without knowing the host family, I would be hard presssed to allow it for other reasons. To me, it's the parents who are being rude and improper.  At age 19, they're still kids - your daughter did not invite them to come over during spring break; however, the other two girls' response was of a typical immature teenager.  I blame the parents of the non-invited two.  

butzi
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't really understand... My 18 year old could buy his own ticket... I don't know that he would, but he has the money and ability to do that, he is an adult. 19 year olds are adults so Ido t get what the parents have to do with this. I get that they should have checked. They should have checked with your daughter and she should have checked with you. That's where it seems to have gone wrong to me any way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN