Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Movies about On-line Predators

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

Any good movies/shows that should be shared with a teen about on-line predators?  I found out my 13 year old and her friends are frequenting apps like Kik that allows them to talk to anyone.   We have explained to her that the 14 year old she thinks she is talking to may be 40, but I think it might be time to scare her since mom is probably over reacting.

I googled and came up with Trust and Meghan is Missing.  Thoughts on these or others?  Thanks!

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM
To Catch a Predator, a dateline show. It is on tv quite a bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
regian19832002
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Lovely Bones and they ahve some movies that come on lifetime as well.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:02 AM

i've seen both trust and meagan is missing.  Watched them both with my girls and both movies hit home.  Trust was actually reall good. Shows what the family goes thu while their daughter is going thru it.  Another one is Elsewhere.  Its creeepy and plays out like a horror movie  Its rated R so you might want to check it out first.  This paticular movie the girl is trying to get out of her small town and meets a man that she'd been talking to online.  the movie really takes place after she goes missing. 

amonkeymom
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM

There have been a few episodes of shows like Law & Order SVU and Touched By An Angel that touch on this subject as well as some lifetime movies that I've heard of/seen.

conniehar
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Thank you everyone for the great responses.   I will check all of these out!  I can't believe these kids are so dumb!

Beachdeprived
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Wow, that is scary. My DD will be 13 in June and this kind of stuff scares the hell out of me BUT I will say that our middle school is extremely proactive with this kind of stuff and they even have assemblies to talk about different websites and the dangers. I have not heard of Kik..will check that one out. I have forbidden my daughter from ask.fm! I do not approve of that at all. The only plus I have is that my hubby is a police officer and while some may disagree, we are pretty open with our daughter about the potential dangers and I think she has heard enough of his stories that he has personally dealt with to scare her. You may also want to check with your middle school counselor and see if they know of anything that could help too. Might be a good resource. I would also try to find real stories in the news versus movies. Sometimes we watch movies and think ... whatever, that could never happen to me....it's just a movie! Maybe some real news stories will hit home. Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN