Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Do You Miss the Most About the 80s?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

Kevin Bacon Gives Kids a Lesson on Growing Up in the '80s (VIDEO)

by Lisa Fogarty

Can you think of a better person to promote 1980s cultural awareness than actor Kevin Bacon -- he who is so powerful he was able to convince an entire uptight town to let down their hair and just dance in Footloose?

In this absolutely hilarious video, Bacon attempts to school the Millennial generation on just how difficult and yet totally amazing life was 30 years ago. Never mind what our grandfathers told us about having to walk 20 miles to get to school -- '80s kids really knew what it was like to suffer, as Kevin begrudgingly shares with the young folks.

The man makes some major points in this vid. Anyone born after 1985 has no clue what it was like for a young man to effectively stalk the woman he loved. Without the aid of Google, teens had to look up a girl's phone number in the White Pages -- wait, what's that? -- and then call her on an actual phone and, horror of horrors, have to make small talk for 20 minutes with her mom before getting to stage 2 and finally, finally talking to the girl they like and asking her on a date to Sbarro. 

What's Kevin's favorite app? He's so glad you asked: it's a Rubik's Cube.

And any youngin' who is worried about Russia doesn't know the meaning of the word "worried." Kevin perfectly sums up our Cold War angst: "You couldn't even skateboard to a Blockbuster without getting nuked."

Watch how beautifully Kevin captures the spirit of the '80s for those who weren't fortunate enough to live through it. Ah, the good old days:

What do you miss the most about the 1980s?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I miss 70's more than 80's.  I was in HS then.  I did have fun in the early 80's dating dh while he was in college.  I actually only saw the original Footloose a year or so ago after I saw the new one.  I know, I am behind the times. 

michelepr
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I DON'T miss my hairdo. What was I thinking?

woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I miss being able to go shopping without needing a rewards card for every freaking store I walk into.

cybcm
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM
I'll second this one. I had a hair crimper and was not afraid to use it.

Quoting michelepr:

I DON'T miss my hairdo. What was I thinking?

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM

being a baby :)

sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

my six pack abs

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM

My waistline.

cybcm
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:51 AM

I do have to add, I find it quite funny that today my 14yr old is wearing jelly shoes and my 17yr old is wearing doc martens. I owned both of those in the 80s.

A lot of it is still here. Not entirely sure whether that is a good thing or not.

Crystalribap
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM
being a kid an not havin any responsibilities!! lol
nat1106
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
THE 80'S WERE THE BEST I WISH I COULD GO BACK TO THEN LIFE WAS SO MUCH EASIER GROCERIES WERE CHEAPER.. FOR EXAMPLE YOU COULD BY THINGS 3 FOR A DOLLAR NOW YOUR LUCKY TO FIND A CANDYBAR UNDER A DOLLAR THE MUSIC WAS GREAT NOW EVERYTIME YOU TURN ON the RADIO THEIR TALKING about SEX DRUGS TWIRKING WHAT IS THAT I HATE THE RADIO ANYMORE AND TV WAS WONDERFUL THEN SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS WERE GREAT LIFE THEN WAS SO MUCH EASIER AND YOU DIDN'T HAVE ALL THIS TECHNOLOGY TO BE BOTHERED WITH LIKE INTERNET THATS ENOUGH I HATE THAT KIDS LEARN SO MUCH SO EARLY DUE TO INTERNET REGARDLESS HOW MUCH YOU TRY to KEEP YOUR KIDS MINDS INNOCENT THEY KNOW SO MUCH :( ITS ACTUALLY REALLY SAD...REMEMBER WHEN YOU COULD CALL A BUSINESS AND ACTUALLY TALK to A REAL PERSON WOW THOSE WERE THE DAYS NOW ITS PUSH 1 FOR ENGLISH 2 FOR SPANISH OR WHATEVER ELSE I MISS the 80'S LADIES. HAVE a GREAT DAY I'm SURE THEIRS A LOT OF YOU OUT THERE THAT AGREE with ME... THOSE WERE the DAYS.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)